Image from 2003 prints poorly in 2007?

stuckfly

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I've made rounds on this already and can find no fix on any forum I know, though there are some similar posts.

I have this legacy database in Excel that indexes values from many tables and posts them into cells on a report sheet that has an image of a scanned paper form. The image is transparent, so the cell values show through in the right spots on the form. The form is printed and sent to agencies. There are many such forms in the Excel file. It has worked perfectly in Excel 2003, but now I'm on the 2007 version. Still running XP. Not my decision; can't revert back; can't get Vista. So, the problem is, the form prints illegibly fuzzy now. I've tried to print it from other PCs and Macs with Excel 2007, on several printers. If I save it back to the old version I lose all the functionality I've added, a lot of stuff doesn't work, but I can print the form on my home PC using Excel 2003 in Win XP and it looks fine.

Things I've tried:
Resampling the image and inserting in other image formats,
Testing the image using Word and PowerPoint instead of Excel,
Fussing with printer and page settings,
Reseting the print area to only the form,
Changing Excel options for resolution and display,
Updating my printer drivers,
Trying my home printer on my PC at work,
Trying my work printer on my PC at home,
Inserting the image in as a rectangle fill,
Inserting the image as a background,
Calling Microsoft tech support in India.

Nothing has helped; the print results are exactly the same unless I print using Excel 2003 in Win XP. This worked using my work printer at home, too, so it's not the printer or printer driver.

This seems to be a downgrade in Excel 2007's rendering method. I haven't been able to try Excel 2003 in Vista, so maybe the problem is Vista's rendering for Office 2007 is fine and XP rendering for Office 2003 is fine, but Office 2007 doesn't play well with XP? I'm guessing here.

Anyone?

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back