Implement a dynamic "lookback" period?

cfadr

Hi,

I have a time series data set and I am trying to perform calculations based on different flags/conditions. However, I need the macro user to be able to input a "lookback" period which will cause the if statement used to determine that flag/condition to check if the condition was true at any time during the "lookback" period - how best can I implement this lookback period? Thanks

Example:

Dim data_set As Variant
data_set = Sheets("Data").Range("A4:AV75617")
Dim i As Long
For i = Sheets("Control").Range("A8") To UBound(data_set, 1) 'A8 contains the value the user has inputted for the lookback period (number of prior periods in time series in which to check if condition is true)
indicator_1 = data_set (i, 15)
If indicator_1 > 0 Then 'here is my problem - I need indicator_1 to be a range from i to i - [lookback period] rather than a point value and then I need the flag to be true if that range is > 0 (i.e., if any value in that range is > 0)
flag_1 = True
End If 'I then go on to use the flag_1 in other if statements

Re: How to implement a dynamic "lookback" period?

Add .value to the end of Data_Set = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2:G13") or remove the () from the dim line if you are going to use the rewritten version.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.

Thanks; unfortunately this did not produce the desired result. The code provided appears to say if the three conditions are True then "position exists" and don't do the returns calc. What I am actually trying to do is as follows:
- There are three flags, two of which have "lookback periods" (flags 1 and 3) - i.e., they are "on" or =1 in the current row (current i) if they were true in any of the previous rows in the lookback period (these "lookbacks" are the loops from j to)
- If the three flags are "on" or =1 then the "action_flag" is turned on and a calculation is done
- The above works fine but I am now trying to add a condition that if the "action_flag" was on in the lookback rows (2 previous rows in this case) then it should not be switched on (because I am trying to avoid triggering the action flag in consecutive periods by implementing a condition that if it was already on in either of the last 2 periods then don't switch it on again)

Recopying previous code for convenience:

Code:
Sub test_loop()
Dim i As Long
Dim data_set As Variant
data_set = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2:G13")
lookback = 2
For i = lookback + 1 To UBound(data_set, 1)

For j = i - lookback To i       'This is the loop with the flag that has a lookback period - flag_one based on trigger_one
        trigger_one = data_set(j, 2)
        If trigger_one > 0 And IsNumeric(trigger_one) Then
            flag_one = 1
        Exit For
        End If

Next j

For j = i - lookback To i       'This is the loop with the flag that has a lookback period - flag_one based on trigger_one
        trigger_three = data_set(j, 4)
        If trigger_three > 0 And IsNumeric(trigger_three) Then
            flag_three = 1
        Exit For
        End If
    Next j

If flag_one = 1 Then
        flag_one_count = flag_one_count + 1
        total_one_value = total_one_value + data_set(i, 5)
    End If
    If flag_three = 1 Then
        flag_three_count = flag_three_count + 1
    End If

trigger_two = data_set(i, 3) 'This is the flag with no lookback period - flag_two based on trigger_two

If trigger_two > 0 And IsNumeric(trigger_two) Then

flag_two = 1
        flag_two_count = flag_two_count + 1
    End If

'This part not working - I am trying to implement a check to see if the "action flag" below (combination of flags 1-3) was already triggered in the lookback period; in which case I don't want it to switch on in this period
    For k = i - lookback To i - 1
        If flag_one = 1 And flag_two = 1 And flag_three = 1 Then
        existing_position = 1
        Exit For
        End If
    Next k

If flag_one = 1 And flag_two = 1 And flag_three = 1 And existing_position <> 1 Then   'If both flag_one (which has a lookback period) and flag_two (which does not have a lookback period) are equal to one then do the following
        Action_Flag = 1
        Action_Flag_Count = Action_Flag_Count + 1
        total_returns = total_returns + data_set(i, 5)
    End If

'///////////////////////////////
'Reset Values for the next loop|
'\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
trigger_one = 0
trigger_two = 0
flag_one = 0
flag_two = 0
trigger_three = 0
flag_three = 0
existing_position = 0
Next i

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F17") = flag_one_count
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F18") = flag_three_count
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F19") = flag_two_count
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F20") = Action_Flag_Count
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F21") = total_returns / Action_Flag_Count

End Sub

row_countflag_1flag_2flag_3returns
301022%
401083%
501182%
611169%
710074%
811089%
901017%
1001073%
1100071%
1200013%

<colgroup><col><col span="4"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

because I am trying to avoid triggering the action flag in consecutive periods by implementing a condition that if it was already on in either of the last 2 periods then don't switch it on again)

Do you mean for example that if you are on row 10 of the array with a lookback period of 2 then you want to check if conditions were met when on row 8 and 9 as well and do nothing if they were? ie check 6,7,8 and then check 7,8,9

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yes; so the lookback period is being used for two things -

1) to determine whether flags 1 and 3 should be switched on (they are turned on if triggers 1 and 3 were hit within the lookback period); and
2) to determine whether the "action flag" should be switched on assuming flags 1-3 have all been hit - in this case what I am trying to do is as you say in this example check rows 8-9 to see if the action flag was already activated and if so then don't activate in this row otherwise do activate

By way of example, in the sample data set below - with out the lookback period being used for part 2) above the "action flag" would be hit twice in rows 6 and 8. However, what I am trying to do is ensure it is only hit in row 8 (because in the loop for row 8 the code should "see" that it was already hit in row 6 and therefore not hit it again):

row_counttrigger_1trigger_2trigger_3returns
301022%
401083%
501182%
611169%
710074%
811089%
901017%
1001073%
1100071%
1200013%

<colgroup><col><col span="4"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yes; so the lookback period is being used for two things -

1) to determine whether flags 1 and 3 should be switched on (they are turned on if triggers 1 and 3 were hit within the lookback period); and
2) to determine whether the "action flag" should be switched on assuming flags 1-3 have all been hit - in this case what I am trying to do is as you say in this example check rows 8-9 to see if the action flag was already activated and if so then don't activate in this row otherwise do activate

By way of example, in the sample data set below - with out the lookback period being used for part 2) above the "action flag" would be hit twice in rows 6 and 8. However, what I am trying to do is ensure it is only hit in row 8 (because in the loop for row 8 the code should "see" that it was already hit in row 6 and therefore not hit it again):

Let's say rows 6 and 8 meet the conditions meaning that the macro does stuff for 6 but not 8. What if conditions are met on 10 ? Since the loop would only go as far back as 7 and then trigger when looking at 8, do you want nothing to be done since conditions were met on 8?

Upvote 0

No - in that case because it wasn't actually triggered on 8 (conditions were met but it was triggered on 6 so didn't trigger on 8) if conditions are then met on 10 I need it to trigger (a sufficient period has elapsed from when it last triggered). Thanks

Upvote 0

No - in that case because it wasn't actually triggered on 8 (conditions were met but it was triggered on 6 so didn't trigger on 8) if conditions are then met on 10 I need it to trigger (a sufficient period has elapsed from when it last triggered). Thanks

I rewrote to use booleans rather than compare numbers, but this works properly as far as I can tell. Monitor the immediate window after running and comment out the debug.print lines in the final macro.

Code:
Sub test_loop()

Dim i As Long, Flag_1_Count As Long, Flag_2_Count As Long, Flag_3_Count As Long, Action_Flag_Count As Long

Dim Trigger_1 As Boolean, Trigger_2 As Boolean, Trigger_3 As Boolean, Action_Flag As Boolean, _
Position_Exists As Boolean, Data_Set() As Variant, Hold_Triggers As Object, Minimum_Row_Requirement As Long

Set Hold_Triggers = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")

Dim Intermediate_Action_Flag As Boolean

Data_Set = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2:G22").Value

lookback = 2

For i = lookback + 1 To UBound(Data_Set, 1)

For j = i - lookback To i       'This is the loop with the flag that has a lookback period- flag_one based on trigger_1

If Data_Set(j, 2) > 0 And IsNumeric(Data_Set(j, 2)) And Trigger_1 = False Then

Trigger_1 = True

Flag_1_Count = Flag_1_Count + 1

total_one_value = total_one_value + Data_Set(i, 5)

End If

If Data_Set(j, 4) > 0 And IsNumeric(Data_Set(j, 4)) And Trigger_3 = False Then

Trigger_3 = True

Flag_3_Count = Flag_3_Count + 1

End If

If Trigger_3 And Trigger_1 Then Exit For 'if both are true then exit for loop

Next j

If Data_Set(i, 3) > 0 And IsNumeric(Data_Set(i, 3)) Then 'This is the flag with no lookback period - flag_two based on trigger_2

Trigger_2 = True

Flag_2_Count = Flag_2_Count + 1

End If

'This part not working - I am trying to implement a check to see if the "action flag" below
    '(combination of flags 1-3) was already triggered in the lookback period;
    'in which case I don't want it to switch on in this period

If Trigger_1 = True And Trigger_2 = True And Trigger_3 = True Then

Position_Exists = True

With Hold_Triggers

If .Count = 0 Then
                .Add CStr(i), True 'store row number where conditions were met
            Else
                .Add CStr(i), Empty
            End If

End With

End If

If Position_Exists And i > lookback + 2 Then
        'if conditions were met for the current row and i is greater than the look back period + 2
        With Hold_Triggers

If .Count > 1 Then 'if there is more than one item in the dictionary
                               'then a comparison to prior periods is necessary
                Minimum_Row_Requirement = i - lookback 'This variable is the minimum bound of the 2 period lookback

For Z = Minimum_Row_Requirement To i - 1

If .Exists(CStr(Z)) Then 'if conditions were met on this array row

If .Item(CStr(Z)) = True Then 'if it stores the boolean True

Intermediate_Action_Flag = True 'then do nothing on this row

.Item(CStr(i)) = False 'store [no action] inside the dictionary ie: False

Debug.Print "[No Action] -Array loop[" & i & "]"

Exit For

End If

End If

Next Z

If Intermediate_Action_Flag = False Then .Item(CStr(i)) = True 'Action will be taken for this row

End If 'end .Count > 1 Conditional

End With

ElseIf Position_Exists And i < lookback + 2 Then 'if not enough data but conditions were met
                                                     'then default to no action
        Intermediate_Action_Flag = True

Hold_Triggers.Item(CStr(i)) = False 'store [no action] inside the dictionary ie: False

End If

If Position_Exists = True And Intermediate_Action_Flag = False Then 'If both flag_one (which has a lookback period) and flag_two (which does not have a lookback period) are equal to one then do the following

Debug.Print "Conditions met ; [Action taken] - Array loop[" & i & "]"

Action_Flag = True

total_returns = total_returns + Data_Set(i, 5)

End If

Trigger_1 = False
Trigger_2 = False
Trigger_3 = False
Position_Exists = False
Action_Flag = False
Intermediate_Action_Flag = False

'flag_one = 0
'flag_two = 0
'flag_three = 0

Next i

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F17") = Flag_1_Count
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F18") = Flag_3_Count
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F19") = Flag_2_Count

End Sub

Upvote 0

Found an error
Code:
Sub test_loop_2()

Dim i As Long, Flag_1_Count As Long, Flag_2_Count As Long, Flag_3_Count As Long, Action_Flag_Count As Long

Dim Trigger_1 As Boolean, Trigger_2 As Boolean, Trigger_3 As Boolean, Action_Flag As Boolean, _
Position_Exists As Boolean, Data_Set() As Variant, Hold_Triggers() As Boolean, Minimum_Row_Requirement As Long

Dim Intermediate_Action_Flag As Boolean

Data_Set = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A2:G13").Value

ReDim Hold_Triggers(1 To UBound(Data_Set, 1))

lookback = 2

For j = i - lookback To i       'This is the loop with the flag that has a lookback period- flag_one based on trigger_1

Trigger_1 = True

End If

Trigger_3 = True

End If

If Trigger_3 And Trigger_1 Then Exit For 'if both are true then exit for loop

Next j

If Data_Set(i, 3) > 0 And IsNumeric(Data_Set(i, 3)) Then 'This is the flag with no lookback period - flag_two based on trigger_2

Trigger_2 = True

End If

'This part not working - I am trying to implement a check to see if the "action flag" below

Position_Exists = True

Hold_Triggers(i) = True

End If

If Position_Exists And i > lookback + 2 Then
        'if conditions were met for the current row and i is greater than the look back period + 2
        'then a comparison to prior periods is necessary
        Minimum_Row_Requirement = i - lookback - 2 'This variable is the minimum bound of the 2 period lookback

For Z = Minimum_Row_Requirement To i - 1

If Hold_Triggers(Z) = True Then 'if it stores the boolean True

Intermediate_Action_Flag = True 'then do nothing on this row

Hold_Triggers(i) = False 'store [no action] inside the dictionary ie: False

Debug.Print "[No Action] - Loop[" & i & "]"

Exit For

End If

Next Z

If Intermediate_Action_Flag = False Then Hold_Triggers(i) = True 'Action will be taken for this row

ElseIf Position_Exists And i < lookback + 2 Then 'if not enough data but conditions were met
                                                     'then default to no action
        Intermediate_Action_Flag = True

Hold_Triggers(i) = False 'store [no action] inside the dictionary ie: False

End If

If Position_Exists = True And Intermediate_Action_Flag = False Then 'If both flag_one (which has a lookback period) and flag_two (which does not have a lookback period) are equal to one then do the following

Debug.Print "Conditions met ; [Action taken] - Loop[" & i & "]"

Action_Flag = True

End If

Trigger_1 = False
Trigger_2 = False
Trigger_3 = False
Position_Exists = False
Action_Flag = False
Intermediate_Action_Flag = False

'flag_one = 0
'flag_two = 0
'flag_three = 0

Next i

Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F17") = Flag_1_Count
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F18") = Flag_3_Count
Sheets("Sheet1").Range("F19") = Flag_2_Count

End Sub

Upvote 0

Found another possible bug ,changed variable names and and added comments (read them).

Code:
Sub test_loop()

Position_Exists As Boolean, Data_Set() As Variant, BOOL_Validation() As Boolean

Dim Invalidate_Action As Boolean

Data_Set = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.Value 'Range("A2:G13").Value

ReDim BOOL_Validation(1 To UBound(Data_Set, 1))

lookback = 2

For j = i - lookback To i 'This is the loop with the flag that has a lookback period- flag_one based on trigger_1

Trigger_1 = True 'FLAG 1

End If

Trigger_3 = True 'FLAG 3

End If

If Trigger_3 And Trigger_1 Then Exit For 'if both are true then exit "for" loop

Next j

Trigger_2 = True 'FLAG 2

End If

Position_Exists = True

End If

'If the above booleans are true and i is greater than the start of the parent loop +1

If Position_Exists And i >= lookback + 2 Then

'If conditions are met for the current row
            'Then [Evaluate if action was taken on the 2 previous loops]

For Z = i - 2 To i - 1

If Z = 0 Then Z = 1

If BOOL_Validation(Z) = True Then 'If ANY value in the specified range of array elements is True [Action Taken]

Invalidate_Action = True 'Then do nothing for this row of the array

BOOL_Validation(i) = False 'Store [no action] inside the Boolean Array for the current parent loop Row [False]

Exit For 'Above Condition met at least once so exit current loop

'Technically there's no need to store False since the default value is False
                    'So it's just for illustration purposes

End If

Next Z

'Action will be taken for this row if Invalidate_Action from the above loop is FALSE
        If Invalidate_Action = False Then

BOOL_Validation(i) = True

Else 'IF Invalidate_Action = True

Debug.Print "[No Action] - Row[" & i & "]"

End If

ElseIf Position_Exists And i = lookback + 1 Then 'If on first loop and conditions are met

Invalidate_Action = False 'just for illustration purposes [default value at the end of each loop is false]

BOOL_Validation(i) = True

End If

'If the 3 conditions for the current loop are met and Action wasn't taken in the two previous loops then do the below
    If Position_Exists = True And Invalidate_Action = False Then

Debug.Print "Conditions met ; [Action taken] - Row[" & i & "]"

Action_Flag = True

End If

Trigger_1 = False
Trigger_2 = False
Trigger_3 = False
Position_Exists = False
Action_Flag = False
Invalidate_Action = False

'flag_one = 0
'flag_two = 0
'flag_three = 0

Next i

With Sheets("Sheet1")

.Range("F17") = Flag_1_Count
    .Range("F18") = Flag_3_Count
    .Range("F19") = Flag_2_Count
    .Range("F20") = Action_Flag_Count
    .Range("F21") = total_returns / Action_Flag_Count

End With

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back