Implied Annual Lease Rates based on Dynamic IRR

ThatExcelLife

Hi Team!

I am struggling with an IRR problem.

The situation is that I am trying to find out what the annual lease rates (i.e., annual cash inflows) should be to return a certain IRR.

See the image below. I want to build a building for $50,000,000 (i.e., initial cash outflow). I am going to lease it out for 20 years at XX annual lease rate to get to 6.7% return (i.e., IRR). The way I got to 20 equal payments of $4,585,353 below was through goalseek (I used the IRR function of the 21 cash flows, then simply goalseeked the first lease payment to get to 6.7%).

What I would love to do is simply adjust the 6.7% IRR as an input and BAM! the annual lease rate for x years (I am wanting to flex the term in years as well) will be calculated. Its tricky and from what I can gather in this site is to build a macro to auto-goalseek.

Wondering if there is a simpler way? I am not that handy with macros.

Thanks!

1677797938147.png

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
couldn't the PMT() function works for you?

Book1
A
1- 50,000,000
30.00%
46.70%
6£4,610,167.67
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A6A6=PMT(A4,A2,A1,0,0)

Upvote 0
:oops: So here is the problem, Alan. I was WWWAAAYYY over complicating the problem and I didnt see the simplest of answers right in front of me. This is a little embarrassing. Yes this WORKS! Thank you!

Upvote 0
you're welcome. We've all been there!

Upvote 0
I actually have a follow up question! Can you give me your thoughts on it?

Lets say I want to build in some lease escalation. In other words, in year 10 the lease payments will increase 10%: from $1,654,552 to $1,820,007. The formula here is a simple year 9 * 1.1.

To get to the $1,654,552 in year 1 below, I goalseeked to get to my 6.7% IRR. This takes into the consideration the escalation in lease payment in year 10.

The PMT function above (which works great for "even" cash flows), wont be able to handle the escalation. It feels like it would be circular?

Is there a way to have a PMT function that can take into consideration "uneven" cash flows? Or is there another approach (apart from a macro) that could solve this unevenness?

Ultimately, I want to be able to flex the IRR, the term, the year in which the escalation will take place, and the %.

Thanks, Alan!!

1677857530068.png

The

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back