import csv long number without getting scientific notation

RobE524

I have a Transaction log as .csv file with a 22 digit tracking #. Import to excel 2007 gets me 9.400109898643E+21 instead of 9400109898643002777660. So all the info in the last 9 numbers is lost. Not just displayed wrong, a change of format and they are all 0.
Is there an easy way to get excel to import without deleting this data?

Right now I have a spreadsheet that is formatted and set to import so will keep all the numbers - assuming I have a clean csv file set up exactly like it is expecting. And this month it isn't. Not only in a different order but doesn't have all the commas it should so the final column is in 3 different columns on import. Import From Text is a pain and I'm still losing the last column change even though I thought I changed it to text. Only 50 lines this month so manually fixable.

I've wondered about this a while and this isn't the only place I've encountered this.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
You can't let Excel make the assumption of General for the data type. Make sure the import for that field is set to Text.
IE. you cannot just Open the CSV into Excel, you must use the Data Import or PowerQuery (Get and Transform in Excel 2016) to bring in the data with explicit control.

Upvote 0
Thanks Scott T, he went over my problem and showed me there is no good solution. Just an excel behavior bug. SpillerBD, that's what I'm trying to avoid. Over a dozen pointless mouse clicks that would be unnecessary if excel didn't change data on import. Plus I can't get the last row to change to text, no idea why but it doesn't show up at all even if I scroll all the way to the right and all the way down.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back