Import data from several access files to excell at he the same time

lolster

Hi,
As written in the title I would like to import several Access files at the same time in Excel (but only one table inside a file). Is this anyhow possible?
Br

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
this is one approach (among many). However, it has a different goal then precisely what you stated - it is to get everything in one table. Then you should be able to use the data however you want with regular queries or import to Excel or whatever. If it doesn't work for you then it might spark other ideas instead.

Clearly, just setting up a loop with transferspreadsheet or using ADO to move data around is another major option.

An ETL Process in Three Parts:

1) preconditions:

a) a new database with two table , one is called mesval, the other is called MesVal_SRC_Tables

The MesVal table has two extra columns. The first column is called SeqNum and is an autonumber primary key. The second column is called SRC and is a Short Text column. All the other columns will be the same as your other MesVal tables.. The MesVal_SRC_Tables is defined as follows: MesVal_SRC_Tables: (ID autonumber primary key, SRC short text, SRC_Path short text, SRC_Name short text, DateCreated date/time)

b) The folder with all the databases in it has nothing but the databases you want to import in it

c) the new database will be in a different folder from the other databases you are importing

2) General strategy:

a) We will import all of the other tables into one table

b) We will first create an append query for each other table

c) then we will run the append queries which append from the other databases into the single table.

d) In general we are using a remote query for each append action: insert into MesVal ... select ... from table ... in database

e) One plus is that it after part B is done you can test these and see if it is all working (put the append query in design view and run the View command to see the results without actually appending anything.

f) Important! the MesVal_SRC_Tables table is an index to tie the querynames back to the filenames of the original database. You can use this in joins or do an update/replace to get the original database names back. I used this because I don't have the names of all your database and don't know if they would cause problems in my code or not. If you want you could try to use the database names as query names (but which generally I wouldn't recommend anyway).

3) Caveats:

a) Short Text fields mean that database paths and names can only take up 255 characters or less

b) Code is optimistic. Everything is expected to be clean, consistent data. Any errors will probably result in a crash.

4) Code to make it all happen goes in a public module:

Code:
Sub CreateQueries()

Dim DBs As VBA.Collection
Dim vItem As Variant
Dim qdf As QueryDef
Dim i As Long
Dim s As String
Dim t As String
Dim fso As Object '//Scripting.FileSystemObject

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set DBs = GetDBs
For Each vItem In DBs

'//A unique name for the query
    i = i + 1
    s = "000000" & i
    s = "XTMP24" & Right(s, 4)
    t = "INSERT INTO MesVal SELECT '" & s & "' as SRC, Date() as DateCreated, MesVal.* FROM MesVal in '" & vItem & "'"
    Set qdf = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef(s, t)

'//Save a record to associate the query with its source
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    t = "insert into MesVal_SRC_Tables (SRC, SRC_Path, SRC_Name) values ('" & s & "', '" & vItem & "','" & fso.GetFileName(vItem) & "')"
    DoCmd.RunSQL t
    DoCmd.SetWarnings True

Next

End Sub

Sub RunQueries()

Dim col As VBA.Collection
Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim vItem As Variant

'//Get the Queries
Set col = New VBA.Collection
Set rs = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("select distinct SRC from MesVal_SRC_Tables", dbOpenForwardOnly)
If Not rs.EOF Then
    Do While Not rs.EOF
        col.Add rs.Fields("SRC").Value
        rs.MoveNext
    Loop
End If
rs.Close
Set rs = Nothing

'//Run the Queries
For Each vItem In col
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    Debug.Print vItem
    DoCmd.OpenQuery vItem
    DoCmd.SetWarnings True
Next

End Subxx

Function GetDBs() As VBA.Collection

Dim fso As Object '//Scripting.FileSystemObject
Dim fldr As Object '//Scripting.Folder
Dim f As Object '//Scripting.File

Dim col As VBA.Collection

Set col = New VBA.Collection
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set fldr = fso.GetFolder("C:\myTemp\Test4")

For Each f In fldr.Files
    If fso.GetExtensionName(f.Path) = "accdb" Then
        col.Add f.Path
    End If
Next f

Set GetDBs = col

End Function
Thank you xenou.
I am trying to run your code, but the "run-time error message 91" is returning when reach the line "Set qdf = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef(s, t)":
"Object variable or With block not set".
After debugging, in Locals window is:
"DateCreated <Application-defined or object-defined error>" (same with Path, Size...)
I have added the refference to MS ActiveX Object 6.1, but the error remains.
Thanks for any advice.
Jozef

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you are looking at in the locals window. The ActiveX reference should not be necessary since this is using DAO (which is what Acess would probably be using here by default). You probably want to inspect variables s and t and see what is the actual query you are trying to create. To me looking at it right now it looks like it should just be CreateQueryDef(t).

Upvote 0
Ok, thanks. The Locals window is not important, I just guess that it can help identify the problem "Object variable or With block not set".

Upvote 0
Okay I did test this but somehow it looks like createquerydef(s,t) should be createquerydef(t)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back