Import Excel sheet to Access

Krayna

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am attempting to create a convertor tool in Access which will take values in a given spreadsheet, perform the conversion calculation and then export back to excel.
So far I have managed to perform the calculation effectively as well as export in a limited way. Basically I am just looking to brush up my tool so it can be used independently by other users.

I would like to be able to import excel files of variable structures and immediately append to table in DB so calculation can work.
To explain in more detail. Function should:
1. Select excel file (possibly preview to user), - see below how a sheet MAY look however it is quite erratic. User should be able to select which sheet in file required.

excel sheet to import.png

2. User selects columns required for each column in DB table (e.g. FirstName = column 2 in spreadsheet...) - see table structure below.
table in Access.png

3. Data is appended to table (possibly preview to user).

I think that's it for now. Thank you

Sorry actually used different spreadsheet for import - only had necessary data in columns A, B and C - effectively manipulating in Excel before import.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Well, all my comments were based on your original requirements. What you have now is far, far simpler than what you originally asked for.

Upvote 0
It is not ideal but better than no solution at all...
Would definitely prefer more automation but would take much longer to code all that...

Upvote 0
So based on what you said and your current code, if you are just importing the first three columns you could probably just use transferspreadsheet with the option to ignore column headers. Then you would not have that row by row and cell by cell looping which is inefficient. Also you wouldn't need to open the workbook and make it visible. I don't see any reason to make it visible - there isn't anything for the user to do anymore. Not having to go through Excel automation would probably be a plus (its a little added complexity in the code that doesn't add much benefit).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back