Import External Data

gordon3d

I am importing data from another spreadsheet using Excel's Import External Data/Import Data etc and when I get to the "Select Table", I see some Named Ranges are listed and others are listed with a "$" at the end.

For example: Data_Bu (named range) is listed as Bu$. Importing using this Bu$ gives a difference rance which includes titles etc which I do not want.

Others: Data_Carbon is listed in "Select Table" as Data_Carbon.

What has happened to my orifinal named range? I can see it in the original source spreadsheet but not in the "Select Table".

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
There is an options button which will pop up another menu that allows you to select tables and views. Your named range is a "view" in this context and that is likely unchecked. Once you check the view option you will see your named range.

Also, keep your situation in one thread or the moderators will wish bad things to happen to you involving squirrels.

Upvote 0
Sorry but I thought it was three separate problems involving data importation (happens to be using the same function). Sorry.

Thanks for that.

Upvote 0
No good. The view option is checked.

>>>> Some <<<<of the Named Ranges that exists in the original source Excel File still do not appear on the list when I tried using 'External Data > New Database Query".

The Named Ranges that do appear is the same as if I went via "Data > Import External Data > Import Data" route.

What am I doing wrong.

Upvote 0
By the way, it seems both methods of importation:

'Data > Import External Data > New Database Query"
'Data > Import External Data > Import Data"

Requires the source Excel file to be opened on the same PC and the importing file (note the source dile is sitting on another networked computer).

Upvote 0
Hmm, don't know about that. I have similar queries and imports linked to files accross a large network, and I have never had to have the file open to refresh the data....
not sure what the difference is in your case.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back