Import Video File Information into Excel

CodenameAter

Hello All,

This is a bit of a weird question but I imagine someone has asked it before. Here goes:

I want to upload .avi files information into excel. I have a number of surveillance cameras and I need to log events & write comments. Each video files contains a lot of information including the file name, length, date, etc. All I want is a way to quickly upload an entire file folder of video files into excel so that it would read something like:

File NameLengthDateComments
Event20150607...00:0506/07
Event20150607...00:1006/07

<tbody>
</tbody>

I am not worried about how the data looks as long as it uploads in some delimited formate. I can run macros to deal with the data after the fact. I also do not care if they can view the file as that is done is a separate program, I just need the info as to avoid manually writing it in.

Let me know. Thank you.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
does you camera system provide any archiving info. there used to be a video file reader called gspot (be careful which links you follow)

Upvote 0
does you camera system provide any archiving info. there used to be a video file reader called gspot (be careful which links you follow)

I don't know, I'll have to investigate but I didn't even think of that, good call. It's really old software but it might have some sort of logging function.

I'll look for the gspot....software that is, such a corny joke :P Thanks for the suggestion :)

Upvote 0

Thanks for the link. I actually found out that my system does store this information in Access format. I have no idea where they store it and the manual doesn't say anything, pretty sure the system was invented before the internet so there isn't much out there but the manual does say it stores it, so let the treasure hunt begin :)

Upvote 0
so it will be an access.mdb a bit like sql, you'll either have an rs232 output or usb link

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back