importing a word document into an access report

dogdays

Office Version
  1. 2007
MS-Access 2003, Windows XP
I have an application which requires generating a monthly newsletter. This will be printed on a duplex printer, the report consist of the front of page for name and address data, the back of the page will be the actual newsletter. I wish to import the newsletter part as a word document. The word document will always be located at C:\AOH\aohnews.doc.
Is this possible, if so how would I do it?

tia jack

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
I have had to do things like this, but I always go the other way. I create the document as a Word document, and then do a Mail Merge from Access to Word. So there is no Access report at all, just a Word Mail Merge template.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.
This application is a replacement for the original app which was done in Oracle with VBA and Crystal Reports. The user wants to get rid of Crystal Reports but still have the new application user interface to be the same as the old. Therefore I am stuck with the concept of importing a word document to an Access report.

Jack

Upvote 0
Therefore I am stuck with the concept of importing a word document to an Access report.
I can't say for certain, but I don't know if that can be done. You may be stuck re-creating the document as an Access report. Here is another link from not so long ago that also seems to suggest that also:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=305263

The only thing I would consider trying is see if maybe you can take the Word portion of the document and turn it into an image file, and try imbedding the image in your Access report. Just a theory - I never tried it, but it might work.

Upvote 0
Went to the web and got 2 or 3 "FREE" convert word doc to .bmp. The only thing free was the download. But that aside I could convert to a .bmp, and could add that to my report in access. But I could not size the .bmp to fit within the report. One would think that importing a word document to an access report would be a standard item. Perhaps one doth think too much.
Thanks for the advice I will keep searching.
Is it possible to import an ascii text file, all under VBA control, then paste the text file into a text box on an access report?

Jack

Upvote 0
One other thought. Would I be better off using Crystal Reports? I know it can be done that way, I do not know how but could probably figure it out.

Jack

Upvote 0
But I could not size the .bmp to fit within the report.
I believe you can use products like Microsoft Paint as well as numerous other products to re-size you ".bmp" files.

One would think that importing a word document to an access report would be a standard item.
No, not really. Most people do it the other way, using Mail Merge in Word rather than trying to bring the Word document into Access. Access reporting is much more limited in its formatting than Word, so generally reports created out of Word will look nicer than ones created out of Access. Access also has a 22 inch limit on the size of the Report.

Is it possible to import an ascii text file, all under VBA control, then paste the text file into a text box on an access report?
Wouldn't it just be easier to Copy & Paste the text from Word to Access, in chunks, like explained in the link I posted in my last reply?

One other thought. Would I be better off using Crystal Reports? I know it can be done that way, I do not know how but could probably figure it out.
Probably depends on your comfort level with Crystal Reports vs Access Reports. I don't know if Crystal Reports would encounter the same issues that you are having with Access Reports or not.

Hope that helps!

Upvote 0
I tried your suggestion of mail merge with poor results. My final solution was to:
1. create a memo column in my table
2. save the word document as text
3. import the txt file to the memo column
4. show the memo field as a textbox
The report is a 2 pager for each member, the first page has the name and address, the second the text box with the newsletter. I output to a duplex printer and all works fine.
I thought I would tell you in case the question comes up again.
Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back