Importing Data and getting it to stick

Sleepingsouls

Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a tricky one here.

I have a few issues that I'm not quite sure how to fix:

Let me explain the set up and then tell you the problems. Each Day I get an Excel workbook (I'll call this W1-7) given to me with tasks for the day (not my tasks just stuff I need to track and be aware of) - this information is usually hand typed into a different workbook (I'll call this TL) but there is a lot of Data and I have taken steps to automate it. In doing so I have discovered that because TL uses a different sheet for each day of the week it is hard to export data without having to manually change the formula name for each day - which I would be happy to do and just save W1-7 in there but once I save over them (in the new week) all the data is going to change (we start a new TL each week but the data from the old one is needed for up to months after) - So how do I export data from another workbook and have it stay?

Another problem I am having is the people who need to do the tasks or are part of the tasks have a number assigned to them (most of them) on the W1-7 this is indicated by let's say Tom (23), I have used the MID formula to pull that number out and use it to go into TL but when someone doesn't have one I can't figure out how to have the name of the company come up where there is someone assigned but has no number - but at the same time leave the cells that don't have anyone assigned blank.

I'm sure I will run into more issues later but these are my biggest problems - The hardest part is I didn't design the original workbook (TL) and no I'm trying to make it more efficient while having to stick to another departments W1-7.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back