Importing data From Web causing cell references to change?

cubbie1783

I import data from a page on the Baseball Reference website to pull statistics into a spreadsheet. Further to the right, in every single row I put formulas in a few columns to manipulate the data to make it useful to me for VLOOKUP functions to find the home run totals for specific players.

For example, the data pulls players' names into column B and their home run totals into column L. Because the names sometimes have additional symbols such as a "*" or "#", I use formulas to extract those and relist them without the symbols way over in colum BA. Then I copy the home run totals via formula into column BB. From here, I'm able to search for any player in these two columns to pull their up to date home run totals.

Now here is the problem. Sometimes, not always, when I refresh the data from the web, maybe 1,000 cells down (maybe more, it's not always the same), the formula referencing the cell in the same row in column B changes to be another cell way down. i.e. the formula in BA1345 referencing B1345 now references B2785 instead. Then every row below it changes accordingly as well (BA1346 now references B2786 and so on). When I autofill the formulas again from the correct formulas above them and refresh again, it works exactly as planned. I don't know why this is occurring. My guess is it has something to do with variance in the website it is pulling from, perhaps something with ads or something else. Not really sure. Can anyone help? Hopefully this makes sense.

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back