Importing data into Excel from a website

RUMPOLE

Hi

I copy data from about 20 different website pages into an excel file on a daily basis.

I am trying to automate this, so I can just refresh the links on a daily basis, instead of copying the data into each of the 20 or so different pages.

The website is password protected, I am a registered user with login and password.

I am not having any luck in getting this set up, despite repeated attempts.

My process as is, is to click on Data/From Web/Basic URL

I then paste the URL Shortcuts - Immediate Horse Racing Data

It then brings up a navigator screen and this is where I seem to be failing.

It doesn't display the data from the web page that I am hoping to see- this is when I am clicked on the 'Table view'.

When I click on the 'web view' it says 'Table highlighting is disabled because this page uses Internet Explorer's Compatability mode'.

Anyone have any suggestions for how I can progress this? I'm happy to provide more information/ data if needed.

Kind Regards.

Attachments

• MrExcel extract.png
    MrExcel extract.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 36

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
I've ran into this a few times. I haven't found a way to make it work. I think it is either purely a compatibility issue, or possibly that the website doesn't actually have an html table object, but rather it just looks like a table but is some kind of rendered object using javascript.

It's explained a bit here. This kind of reminds me that the times I've ran into this I just loaded the website as html and used power query to parse the html by using a lot of convoluted split column by delimiter and splitting on the html tags that are in the webpage. Like I said, it's a messy solution.

Upvote 0
I've ran into this a few times. I haven't found a way to make it work. I think it is either purely a compatibility issue, or possibly that the website doesn't actually have an html table object, but rather it just looks like a table but is some kind of rendered object using javascript.

It's explained a bit here. This kind of reminds me that the times I've ran into this I just loaded the website as html and used power query to parse the html by using a lot of convoluted split column by delimiter and splitting on the html tags that are in the webpage. Like I said, it's a messy solution.

Thanks for your reply, I'll check out the links you suggested, and I'll try the approach you suggested.

Thanks again
Kind Regards.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back