Importing Excel data into Access - error message

shindig54

Hello, I downloaded a year's worth of financial transaction data into Excel and exceeded the limit on one sheet but the data did download into 2 sheets. When I try to import into Access (even in just a blank data able) I receive the following "Cannot open database. It may not be a database your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt". Can anyone help me? Thank you.

I wish I could send it to you but one file is 244MG and the other is 220MG, I don't think there is a way for me to get it to you. I really appreciate your help, though.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
file share?
If not, that's OK but I'm out of ideas except what I suggested in my last post.

Upvote 0
something like Google Drive? There are lots of different ones whose names I don't recall but have downloaded from in the past. Not my favourite source as I'd rather download from a forum. Just seems safer and free of ads but I admit to downloading db's from such sources. I guess you've never used one.

Upvote 0
I really appreciate your help but I probably can't get authorization to share the data. I noticed that the data I am trying to pull has a * as the first field. I wasn't sure what that was so I kept ignoring it. I pulled it in and received a different error message:

Duplicate output destination "Transaction Type"

I don't have duplicate fields called "transaction Type".

Upvote 0
I did notice if I pull one table into one database and the other table into a different database, they will both load and open but I still can't combine them.

Upvote 0
Why can't you combine them? You can link one table from each db into a 3rd if necessary and combine in the one. Almost sounds like there are too many records for Access? Access db file limit is 2 Gb, including any overhead. If a file is less than that but needs reserve space for processing then you'll run in to issues with size.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluedbw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back