importing external data - edit query

bobmc

Board Regular
I have successfully set up a query to import four columns of information from a database to my worksheet. Here's the problem...

The database has several tables and will add more tables over time. After successfully importing info from a table, (say Table A) I will want to look at another imported table (Table B). I go to Data/Import External Data/Edit Query to override the existing import with Table B. In the "Query Wizard - Choose Columns" dialogue box, I choose the desired table, (Table B) keeping the "Columns in your query" unchanged. When I finish the import, none of the information changes.

I have found that in the "Query Wizard - Choose Columns" dialogue box, if I empty the "columns in your query" box, then refill it with columns of exactly the same names from the new table, (in this case, Table B) then the import override works. Unfortunately, it also means I have to re-establish filter information, etc., every time I change the import to another table.

Is it really necessary to go through all this? I'd like to be able to simply select the new table from the dialogue box without having to empty the column selection or re-establishing filter information.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

bobmc

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kai_357

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back