Importing text file as text: set column format

sbp

I'm working on an OCR correction list that involves all the mistakes an OCR app would make on a date: mm/dd/yy. That is, say, 01/01/06; O1/01/06, Q1/01/06, etc. The list has to be in a csv format. Word processing programs don't have ability to show so many columns. Excel can, and I've done the find and replace within groups to deal with the permutations, then exported to csv.

However, when I need to add to it, Excel of course wants to see the dates as dates and numbers as numbers -- that is, 01/01/06 is changed to 1/01/06, and 02101106 (where the OCR reads the / as 1) drops the leading zero. I can work around this by importing the csv file and selecting "TEXT" as the column format. However, the import function is limited to about 64 columns. Beyond that, I can't specify import as text, and it winds up importing columns 64-200 as general format (dropping the leading zero) and messing with dates. How can I get Excel to import AS IS?

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back