Importing word doc data into excel

55giants5

Hello, Happy Friday!

I'm trying to figure out a way to expedite my current workflow. I have a report that's generated into a word document. I manually input select pieces of data from this document into an excel template so that I can present to clients.

The word document looks something like this:
D7bmnjT.jpg

the information for 123 state street may be on Excel sheet 1, 123 park lane may be on sheet 3. However I may only need the color (Column B) or the price (Column A). The location on the excel spreadsheet is fixed so there's no change from each report/excel template.

I'm wondering if there's a way to get this data into an excel template, without having to manually input it. Whether it be an excel function i'm overlooking or having to create a macro for it.

I'm thinking I'd need to create a macro that searches the word document for "123 state street", if found -- it inputs "red" or "$1000" into the set location on the excel sheet. Would this even be possible?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Is this process to be driven from Word, or from Excel? That makes a huge difference in the way it is coded.
What happens when an address in Word isn't found in Excel? Or vice-versa?
Is it always the same document/workbook you're working with, or does the user need to be able to choose either/both?

PS: Your premature bumping of the thread (see http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/board-announcements/99490-forum-rules.html #12) diminished the chance of getting an early response as doing so removed it from the 0-replies search many users here employ to find unanswered threads...

Upvote 0
I should have read the forum rules! Thanks for alerting me of it.

The process is to be driven from excel. Good question about the addresses not being found, but wouldn't there be a way to just ignore if not found?

The workbook would always be the same, but the information in the word document may vary.

Upvote 0
The workbook would always be the same, but the information in the word document may vary.
But that doesn't tell me whether it's always the same document or if the user should have to choose one (or more) documents each time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back