In a drop down list, how do I...

Croppin

Enable people to enter the first 3, 4 or 5 letters to take them to that part of the drop down? Is this an autofill? Or is there a search formula I can do?

Someone said before a combobox, but I am not "getting it".

Any ideas and please, I normally work in Adobe InDesign so I am Excel challenged. Talk to me like I am dumb, because when it comes to Excel...I am!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Yes, you need to use a ComboBox from the Control Toolbox.

In its properties you can set the ListFillRange, i.e. A1:A25.

Your drop down will then have the functionality you're looking for.

Smitty

Upvote 0
Thank you for responding!

So there is an existing drop down. Apparently it is not a combo box because when I right click there is no properties.

I went into Data validation and changed...Allow:list to Allow:any value and that made the boxes go away.

I then found the control toolbar and inserted a combo box and now I am lost. I found the area where you list the items and inserted Data!A1:170. Now when I go to click on the button in that cell, I just have the box highlighted with no drop down.

I apologize for my very limited skill level. I am a bit frustrated with this as I have been looking at it for about two hours now on this one thing! ACK!

Upvote 0
Should be:

Data!A1:A170.

Once that's done you need to click the Control Toolbox Edit icon (it's at the upper left-hand corner and looks like a speed square and pencil).

That will exit from Edit mode and then the CB witll be active.

Smitty

Upvote 0
You are my new hero!

Ok, I have the 15 lines of the combo boxes representing the products in the form.

Of course I ran into one more snag. Promise this is my last question, as I looked at all the other formulas and I understand how all those work!

The choices where I used the combo box, are supposed to begin a range of formulas for calculations on what kind of rebate someone will get. So whatever is chosen in the combo box, is associated with a price on my data sheet (sheet three in the workbook).

I have the following to get the ball rolling...

=VLOOKUP(A8;A22,DATA!A1:B178,2,FALSE)

However, now that I replaced the list box with the combo box, it is no longer recognizing what it needs to get the whole ball rolling.

Can you be a wizard just one more time?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back