In VBA, How To Use a String to Refer to an Array Name

mitachoo

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am perplexed trying to do something that sounds simple, but I'mgetting nowhere!

In VBA, I have the name of an Array that is constructed via concatenation of several strings. The formula is:
Name = Hits_Index_Name & A & ")"

And the concatenation comes out like this:
Hits_Index_A(0,1)

The above is the name of an Array from which I'm attempting to pull data.

How do I do this?

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I don't think you can, assuming you are asking whether you can create some arrays and then choose the one you want to use, based on the array name being the same as a given string. You can't compare array names with anything.

But what you can do, is when you define those arrays, make a list of their names, and when you want to choose an array, find it in the list. I can thin of two ways to arrange your data to make this work. One is to have a single array containing all your arrays (assuming they are the same size), so if you had 10 arrays, each 50 rows and 5 columns, you could define a single array Array(10,50,5), and then store a list of the 10 names that apply to each of the 10 arrays of 50x5. Then when you create a text array name, you can look it up in the list, and if, say, it is 3, then you use Array(3,....).

If the arrays could be different sizes, then I would set them up as separate classes, and define a class array containing them

Upvote 0
Solution
I don't think you can, assuming you are asking whether you can create some arrays and then choose the one you want to use, based on the array name being the same as a given string. You can't compare array names with anything.

But what you can do, is when you define those arrays, make a list of their names, and when you want to choose an array, find it in the list. I can thin of two ways to arrange your data to make this work. One is to have a single array containing all your arrays (assuming they are the same size), so if you had 10 arrays, each 50 rows and 5 columns, you could define a single array Array(10,50,5), and then store a list of the 10 names that apply to each of the 10 arrays of 50x5. Then when you create a text array name, you can look it up in the list, and if, say, it is 3, then you use Array(3,....).

If the arrays could be different sizes, then I would set them up as separate classes, and define a class array containing them
Thanks Dermot! As a workaround I had done something similar to what you suggested, and it sounds like this workaround is the only way to do it.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back