Include the value of a Cell in a SUM based on the selection of a radio button

Excel_User_10k

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I am looking for a Formula that will count a price based on the selection of a few Radio Buttons.

So for instance =SUMIF(B1+(Radio selection 1=1, then add B2, if radio selection 2=1, add B3...etc I know this isn't the correct use of SUMIF but this is the essence of what I am trying to achieve.

Is this possible? I have found it asked in places but never actually answered.

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
The easiest way that comes to mind is to use SUM(INDEX( in conjunction with a link cell for each group of option buttons.

=SUM(INDEX(B2:B4,D1)) where D1 is the link cell to a group of 3 option buttons with B2:B4 being the range of cells to look at.

If you need to use non contiguous cells, or if the order of assignment needs to be changed then use CHOOSE instead of INDEX. =SUM(CHOOSE(D1,B2,B3,B4))

Upvote 0
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it isn't either or. It is more like AND and AND. So it doesn't work if the reference for all radio's are in the same cell. Is it possible to do it where the Radio button references are separate too? I can't have them in the same cell ref for other reasons too. So say:

Always add C1 then...

If A2=2 Then add value of B2
If A3=2 Then add value of B3
If A4=2 Then add value of B4

So it could result in only (C1+B3), (C1+B2+B3), (C1+B3+B4), etc.

By the sounds of it this isn't possible though.

Upvote 0
Are you using option buttons or checkboxes?

Checkboxes return TRUE or FALSE to their respective link cells, radio buttons return a number depending on which button is selected within their respective group.

If you have multiple groups then you can simply add multiple INDEX or CHOOSE functions. The suggestion that I provided was a simple example based on the information in your question but your example is too simple to figure out exactly what is required.
If A2=2 Then add value of B2
If A3=2 Then add value of B3
If A4=2 Then add value of B4
What if A2, A3, and A4 contained 1 or 3 instead?

Upvote 0
Are you using option buttons or checkboxes?

Checkboxes return TRUE or FALSE to their respective link cells, radio buttons return a number depending on which button is selected within their respective group.

If you have multiple groups then you can simply add multiple INDEX or CHOOSE functions. The suggestion that I provided was a simple example based on the information in your question but your example is too simple to figure out exactly what is required.

What if A2, A3, and A4 contained 1 or 3 instead?
Because again, if it was 1, 2 or, 3 in the same reference it could only ever be OR, as it can only be one or the other. By some miracle I seem to have figured it out. It's a bit long winded but it works. It is a combination of SUM and IF. Hopefully you think it is stable enough?

Excel Formula:
=SUM(C1+(IF(A2=2,B2,"0")+IF(A3=2,B3,"0")+IF(A4=2,B4,"0")+IF(A5=2,B5,"0")))

Upvote 0
If that's all you need then the simple version would be
Excel Formula:
=C1+SUMIF(A2:A5,2,B2:B5)
Looking at what you have done, I believe that I was overthinking the problem based on the ways that I see option buttons used more often.

Upvote 0
Solution
If that's all you need then the simple version would be
Excel Formula:
=C1+SUMIF(A2:A5,2,B2:B5)
Looking at what you have done, I believe that I was overthinking the problem based on the ways that I see option buttons used more often.
Ah ok no worries. Yeah that is much simpler haha! Thanks very much 😀

Out of curiosity, how would this work if the radio references or SUM references weren't sequential?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back