incorrect values on line chart X axis

jan001

Board Regular
Using Excel 2010, I created a very simple line chart showing activity of a certain type, like this:
Column A (Date of Report)
01/06/14
01/13/14
01/28/14
02/03/14
02/10/14
02/28/14
03/07/14
03/14/07
03/21/14
03/28/14
04/04/14
04/18/14

Column B (Number of Incidents Reported)

When I select those two columns of data for a line chart, the chart itself renders just fine but the X-axis values, instead of displaying the dates, shows the first one - 01/06/14 - but after that just the 6th of each month -- 02/06/14, 03/06/14, etc. -- even though those dates aren't in the data I selected.

I see what it's doing -- showing a mid-range along the axis -- and it makes sense when you look at it, but it's not what I want. I want the specific dates to show up. If it's crowded, and it will be, all I have to do is monkey with the font size and alignment till it looks the way I want it to.

It's apparently something set in Excel, not in the individual sheet, because when I opened a new Excel window and created another chart to test, it did the same thing. I looked under File > Options, but didn't see anything that addressed it. The values in column A are formatted as dates. I re-set them to text instead, but that didn't change anything so I put them back to dates.

I'm not aware of setting anything differently. What in the world did I do and where do I go to fix it?

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
i would look to create a text label that looks like the date on a parallel row / column and you that for display, though it should also allow you to use the values as presented

Upvote 0
Format the horizontal axis, and choose the Text Axis option. By default, if the X values are dates, Excel uses a Date Axis.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back