Increase cells by 1 but exclude hidden ones

Clouds

I have a list of overall results. Within that list I have different classes that I filter via an "Auto Filter"

If I currently filter that list, the person that came say 5th overall might have won another class. It currently shows that person's position as number "5", but I would like it to show "1", the second person in that class as "2" etc etc.

Is there a formula that I can put into the cells that will increase by 1, but exclude the hidden cells above it when the classes are filtered.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Sorry Clouds, but (if I understand your question) the answer is no.
Formulas will update (even in filtered rows) whether their columns are hidden or not.

(And, welcome to the board!)

Upvote 0
been lurking for quiet a while
:LOL:

Well, nice to see you finally come aboard then.
(It's a drag the answer to your first question was 'no'.) :whistle:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Clouds,

Are you sorting the filtered results or using the RANK() function?

Upvote 0
Weaver - I am filtering using an Auto Filter.

I figured it out. I thought that somehow the Subtotal function could help me and spent a while trying each "Function_num". Once I had the formula doing the correct calculation, it was a simple matter of hiding it for the blank cells. I ended up with the formula below in my A column and the C column is the persons name. (This is the formula out of cell A21)

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 415pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=553 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 415pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 20224" width=553><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8 0.5pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8 0.5pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 415pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8 0.5pt; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8 0.5pt" class=xl65 height=17 width=553 x:str="'=IF(C21="","",(SUBTOTAL(3, $C$10:C21)))">=IF(C21="","",(SUBTOTAL(3, $C$10:C21)))

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back