Increase count by X when another cell increments by Y

megera716

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I feel like this solution is right on the tip of my fingers but I can't make it work....

I'm working on some projections with potential revenues across the top.

There are always at least 2 of a particular employee position. For every $5M in revenue, I want to increase the count of that position by 2 employees (e.g., at $3M, we have 2, at $5M, we still have 2. At $10M, we should have 4) and then I'm multiplying the count of the people by $50,000 salary in C16.

At >=$5M revenue,
Excel Formula:
=MIN($C$16*2,(J3/5000000)*2*$C$16)
seems to be working. But at $3M and $4M, it returns $60,000 and $80,000 respectively (for $3M, it does (3000000/5000000) * 2 * 50,000 = 60,000.

I also tried
Excel Formula:
=IF(J3/5000000<1,2*$C$16,(J3/5000000)*2*$C$16)
, which works fine at 3-5M, but then at 6M, it's giving me $120,000.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
If I am understanding you correctly (and I may not be), maybe try inserting the INT function in there, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=MIN($C$16*2,INT(J3/5000000)*2*$C$16)

Upvote 0
If I am understanding you correctly (and I may not be), maybe try inserting the INT function in there, i.e.
Excel Formula:
=MIN($C$16*2,INT(J3/5000000)*2*$C$16)
Now the $3M and $4M columns return $0 on this row :confused: and every revenue amount>=$5M returns $100K (even though $10M should be $200K).

Upvote 0
OK, then I think I do not understand the details of your question. What exactly is in cells J3 and C16?

Could you please post a few data examples of different scenarios, along with the expected results of each?

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

Upvote 0
I think you did understand it, I'm just not familiar with the INT function so I don't know how to say why that's not working.

Row 3 is the possible revenues. They are every other column, starting in D3 (I just happened to be in cell J3 so I copied and pasted that formula).
C16 is the salary for this position

I'm actually using Google Sheets (boo hiss, but my boss is a diehard Google user) so I don't think the add-in will work :(

Purpose: forecast the labor cost for this position based on various revenues.

Goal: Every multiple of $5M in revenue, the count of people in this position should increase by 2. The minimum count is always 2.

Example scenarios:
  • At $3M in revenue, I should have 2 of this position multiplied by C16 (which contains "50,000" as the salary as described in the OP) so cost = $100K
  • At $5M in revenue, I still have 2 of the position.
  • At $6M, I still have 2.
  • At $10M. I will have 4 (the minimum 2, plus revenue has incremented by $5M so I need to add 2 people) so cost = $200K.

I have a bunch more positions to do this for but I know how to replace cell references as needed to accomplish that, I just can't get the framework to work right.

Upvote 0
Try this:
Excel Formula:
=((INT(MAX((J2-5000000),0)/5000000)*2)+2)*$C$16

Upvote 0
Solution
Try this:
Excel Formula:
=((INT(MAX((J2-5000000),0)/5000000)*2)+2)*$C$16

AAAAH, perfect (I did just change the J2 to J3, I figured that's what you meant :biggrin:)!!!! THANK YOU SO, SOOOOOO MUCH

Upvote 0
You are welcome!

(I did just change the J2 to J3, I figured that's what you meant
Yes, sorry about the typo!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back