Incrementing Number Column

darkstar71

Hi,

First let me say I am a Excel Newbie , I use it for one function at work.Im hoping some kind soul here can save me some typing.
Heres what I have, I have a spread sheet with many columns and some of them have formulas already made by someone else, when I need to expand the sheet I take a section of 10 rows and copy and then paste at the end of the sheet. The 1st column in the spreadsheet is a incrementing number 1,2,3 ... and so on, what I have to do after I paste a bunch of sections of 10 is go through and change this number for each cell counting up.I've looked and looked for a function that would let me just specify a starting number and then it would automatically fill in the rest of the column from there. Can any kind soul help me automate this and please remember I'm a newbie :)
Thanks
This message was edited by darkstar71 on 2002-09-04 08:18

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Hello darkstar71,

... and welcome to the board!

OK, first of all I want to acknowledge you multiple references as a Newbie, but I am assuming you are a Newbie that wants to LEARN!

If I understand you need correctly, you want the number in column A to automatically increment. If this is correct, and assuming you start at 1:

In A1 type in 1
In A2 type in =A1+1
Now copy the formula in A2 down the rest of the column.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Not sure what you're asking. If you just want to increment a number ini either a column or cell there are two quick ways of doing this.

1. Start the range of, ie 1,2,3 then highlight the range and hold your mouse over the bottom right corner, now drag down (or across) you will see your numbers increasing as you go

2. Add a number to the first cell in your range (lets assume A1 is the first cell for this example). In the second cell add this =a1+1
now copy this and paste it into the next n rows.

Hope this helped

Chris

Upvote 0
Thank you both I knew it had to be easy I just couldnt find anywhere where it came out and said to do it exactly like you guys did :)

Jim, I'm always wanting to learn new stuff Im a NT/2k Sys Admin. its just unforantly I havent had alot of time to poke around in Excel.

Once agin thank you both for your quick responses

Upvote 0
here is my suggestion , first as Jim North suggested , in the A1 type 1, then in A2 type =A1+1, then copy the A2 down the column to the last existing row.

Let say you want to copy Row 10 to Row 15 and paste it to the end of the sheet where the last line of table is located. First highligh the entire range you that want to copy, then go to the last row lets call it row 123, therefore your cursor should be on A123, then click on EDIT, PASTE SPECIAL, click on FORMULA, then OK. and all the rows copied to new location with correct increment. hope this help :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonilla0331

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back