Indepth Date Counter

Newbienew

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I am looking to make a pretty in-depth date counter using columns "B" and "M" or because it's a chart "Date of Doc Request" and "Date Return". The formula that I attempted to use is in Column "N" or "COUNTER OF DAYS BEFORE RETURNED".
How it works and my aim.

The "Date of Doc Request" has a formula in it that will populate a date when an entry is made in the first column.
From the Date of Doc Request column, the counter will start in the counter column base of a NOW function.

Seems easy enough until I thinking about the issues I'm trying to account for.
If both cells are blank, then nothing needs to happen.
If a date is in the first cell but no date in the other than I need a default that counts from the NOW function.
If there is a date in the second cell then that date takes precedence for the counter
If the date is the same date in both cells resulting in "0" then I need the Counter date to say "Returned Same Day"
If the date entered in the second cells is less than the first cell, creating a - number, I need the counter date to say "Error with dates"
On the same note there is a type of error that I can duplicate but what happens is the date is really high. Like if you put the cell in General format and the date is 44553 for example. This has an effect on the condition format (that I also need help with) that if over 30 days turns the cell red. <Im thinking the CF should be based off if the second cell has a date that the CF will stop regardless if it is over 30 days.

I have other variations of my trying to make this work off to the side highlighted in yellow.

How can I make this work and where did I go wrong?

Book 2

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
is the circular reference for your column B formulas not giving you any issues?

excelhelp3.jpg

also for your count of days formula

VBA Code:
=IF(COUNTA([@[DATE RETURNED]]),IF([@[DATE RETURNED]]-[@[DATE OF DOC REQUEST]]="0","SAME DAY RETURN",IF([@[DATE RETURNED]]-[@[DATE OF DOC REQUEST]]<"0","DOC DATE HIGHER THAN RETURN",[@[DATE RETURNED]]-[@[DATE OF DOC REQUEST]])),NOW()-[@[DATE OF DOC REQUEST]])

i dont think you need "" around 0?

Upvote 0
No It doesnt give me any issues. Why do you ask?
I used your formula but not seeing how it works.

Book2.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMN
3IC1 EXAMPLE14-Aug-20NE-RQCT-18/15/2020DOC DATE HIGHER THAN RETURN
4IC1 EXAMPLE14-Aug-20NE-RQCT-28/14/2020DOC DATE HIGHER THAN RETURN
5k16-Aug-20NE-RQCT-38/16/2020DOC DATE HIGHER THAN RETURN
CHIT TRACKER
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B3:B5B3=IF(A3<>"",IF(B3<>"",B3,NOW()),"")
N3:N5N3=IF(COUNTA([@[DATE RETURNED]]),IF([@[DATE RETURNED]]-[@[DATE OF DOC REQUEST]]="0","SAME DAY RETURN",IF([@[DATE RETURNED]]-[@[DATE OF DOC REQUEST]]<"0","DOC DATE HIGHER THAN RETURN",[@[DATE RETURNED]]-[@[DATE OF DOC REQUEST]])),NOW()-[@[DATE OF DOC REQUEST]])

Upvote 0
Just checking back in on this to see if anyone could still help or explain how to pull this off. Thank you in advance

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back