Index and Match array (VBA)

Khoong

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I am trying to deal with thousands of rows of data for updating a montly report.

I have refer above pages to found a way to make what I need by using formula but the problem now is I am trying to apply this formula into VBA to get what I need.
For easy understading I have attached below picture.

What I am tryiing to do is that I need to index match Sheet1"A" with Sheets2"A" and Sheet1"E" with Sheet2"B" then return result Sheet1"F" = Sheet2"C" ; Sheet1"G" = Sheet2"D" and so on
Note that: below is just exmaple the real data need to update Sheet1 from F:AJ

1661712171692.png

1661712207719.png

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
What I am tryiing to do is that I need to index match Sheet1"A" with Sheets2"A" and Sheet1"E" with Sheet2"B" then return result Sheet1"F" = Sheet2"C"
In Sheet1 Cell F2 put formula -

Excel Formula:
=XLOOKUP(1,($A2=Sheet2!$A:$A)*($E2=Sheet2!$B:$B),Sheet2!C:C)
If it works the intended way you can fill it down and right in both directions.

Upvote 0
welcome to the forum, here is the super fast VBA way of dealing with this problem, my code uses a VBA dictionary and variant arrays which is a much faster way of doing this task than using the excel functions.
VBA Code:
Sub dictionary()
' this shows hte use of a dictionary to copy a value to a mathcing worksheet
   Dim Ary As Variant
   Dim i As Long
   Dim Dic As Object

Set Dic = CreateObject("Scripting.dictionary")
   With Worksheets("Sheet2")
      lastrow = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
      Ary = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(lastrow, 4))
   End With
   For i = 2 To UBound(Ary)
    ' concatentate colums A and B
      temp = Ary(i, 1) & Ary(i, 2)
      Dic(temp) = i                 ' save array row in dictionary
   Next i
   With Worksheets("Sheet1")
      inarr = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(lastrow, 5))
      outarr = .Range(.Cells(1, 6), .Cells(lastrow, 7))

For i = 2 To lastrow
         temp = inarr(i, 1) & inarr(i, 5)  '     ' concatentate colums A and E
         indi = Dic(temp) 'this matches the value given by the index in the dictionary
         outarr(i, 1) = Ary(indi, 3) ' copy column C of sheet 2 to column F of sheet 1
         outarr(i, 2) = Ary(indi, 4) ' copy column D of sheet 2 to column G of sheet 1
      Next i
      .Range(.Cells(1, 6), .Cells(lastrow, 7)) = outarr  ' write out the output array

End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
welcome to the forum, here is the super fast VBA way of dealing with this problem, my code uses a VBA dictionary and variant arrays which is a much faster way of doing this task than using the excel functions.
VBA Code:
Sub dictionary()
   Dim Ary As Variant
   Dim i As Long
   Dim Dic As Object

End With
   For i = 2 To UBound(Ary)
   Next i

For i = 2 To lastrow
      Next i

End With
End Sub
Hi thank very much for your help. you really helping me alot as this is exactly what I need. I have spend almost month to search for this solution as I really new to VBA coding not sure whether what I ask for is a stupid question or not but still thanks for your help. By the way, I am still having some query about the code you provided. I am still having some questions.

1) I am not sure how indi = Dic(temp) works? you have store Dic(temp) with array row in dictionar. how about indi? as i did not see there is any line to assist value for indi
2) Is it a way for me to set a condition if the record in sheet1 is not appeard in sheet2 then the code will just skip the row. for exmaple like below picture stated

1661728288213.png

Upvote 0
Hi thank very much for your help. you really helping me alot as this is exactly what I need. I have spend almost month to search for this solution as I really new to VBA coding not sure whether what I ask for is a stupid question or not but still thanks for your help. By the way, I am still having some query about the code you provided. I am still having some questions.

1) I am not sure how indi = Dic(temp) works? you have store Dic(temp) with array row in dictionar. how about indi? as i did not see there is any line to assist value for indi
2) Is it a way for me to set a condition if the record in sheet1 is not appeard in sheet2 then the code will just skip the row. for exmaple like below picture stated

View attachment 72663

1661728446731.png

Upvote 0
VBA Dictionaries are a very powerful tool that can be used for lots of things, they don't related to anything that you can do on a worksheet. One way of thinking about them is that they are just like a single dimensional array with a index that instead of going 1,2,3,4,5 etc, they have an index that can take any variable, i.e a name, ( i.e John Mike, Alice, Jane... etc) a combination of two names or as I have done in your case a combination of two columns which can contain any text. Each element of the dictionary contains one value, in your case I have assigned the value to the row from sheet2 that matches the to rows on sheet2.
So the first bit of the code:
VBA Code:
      Dic(temp) = i
in this loop I go down sheet2 a row at a time and concatenate the cell in column A with the cell in column B
I then use this temporary variable to create an element inthe dictionary with the index of temp and a value equal to the row it comes from (i)
This creates the "lookup table"
then the second half of the code on sheet1:
VBA Code:
Once again I create a temporary variable by concatenating the values from column A and column E
I then use this variable as the index into the dictionary that I created as the lookup table and return the value of that element of the dictionary which is the row that matches from sheet 2 and assign it to the varaible indi.
I then use the index indi to return the actual values from that row on sheet 2
It is very easy to check for the case where a value on sheet 1 doesn't exist on sheet2 : we check whether it exists!!! see this code modification:
VBA Code:
Sub dictionary()
   Dim Ary As Variant
   Dim i As Long
   Dim Dic As Object

End With
   For i = 2 To UBound(Ary)
   Next i

For i = 2 To lastrow
         If Dic.Exists(temp) Then   ' check if element exists
         Else          ' if it doesn't set to not found
         outarr(i, 1) = "Not Found"
         outarr(i, 2) = ""
         End If

Next i

End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
VBA Dictionaries are a very powerful tool that can be used for lots of things, they don't related to anything that you can do on a worksheet. One way of thinking about them is that they are just like a single dimensional array with a index that instead of going 1,2,3,4,5 etc, they have an index that can take any variable, i.e a name, ( i.e John Mike, Alice, Jane... etc) a combination of two names or as I have done in your case a combination of two columns which can contain any text. Each element of the dictionary contains one value, in your case I have assigned the value to the row from sheet2 that matches the to rows on sheet2.
So the first bit of the code:
VBA Code:
      Dic(temp) = i
in this loop I go down sheet2 a row at a time and concatenate the cell in column A with the cell in column B
I then use this temporary variable to create an element inthe dictionary with the index of temp and a value equal to the row it comes from (i)
This creates the "lookup table"
then the second half of the code on sheet1:
VBA Code:
Once again I create a temporary variable by concatenating the values from column A and column E
I then use this variable as the index into the dictionary that I created as the lookup table and return the value of that element of the dictionary which is the row that matches from sheet 2 and assign it to the varaible indi.
I then use the index indi to return the actual values from that row on sheet 2
It is very easy to check for the case where a value on sheet 1 doesn't exist on sheet2 : we check whether it exists!!! see this code modification:
VBA Code:
Sub dictionary()
   Dim Ary As Variant
   Dim i As Long
   Dim Dic As Object

End With
   For i = 2 To UBound(Ary)
   Next i

For i = 2 To lastrow
         outarr(i, 2) = ""
         End If

Next i

End With
End Sub
Hi thanks a lot for your explanation. If today I need to match 3 condition can I work the same way? Let use same sheet as example and I try to edit base on your code

VBA Code:
Sub dictionary()
   Dim Ary As Variant
   Dim i As Long
   Dim Dic As Object

End With
   For i = 2 To UBound(Ary)
      temp = Ary(i, 1) & Ary(i, 2) & Ary(i, 3)
   Next i
      inarr = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(lastrow, 6))

For i = 2 To lastrow
         temp = inarr(i, 1) & inarr(i, 5) & inarr(i, 6)  '     ' concatentate colums A and E
         outarr(i, 2) = ""
         End If

Next i

End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Yes you can use three or more columns concatenated together, the idea is the same. If you get to grips with using variant arrays and dictionaries in VBA you will be well on the way to being able to write super fast really powerful code. Many people suffer from writing code using the same functions and techniques that they would if doing it manually only to find the code is really really slow. Use variant array wherever you can to ensure your code is fast.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back