Index and Match error

jazzista

Board Regular
Hellol everyone. I have a trial balance and a list of journal entries: I am trying to retrive the values coming from the journal entries table to the trial balance by the voucher number. I using index and match with an array but i am getting #NAs . Dont know what i am doing wrong in the formula. Any help on retriving the values to the trial balance is greatly appreciated. I am using excel 2016. Regards. See link for the file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmygmec42klzwkn/Journal entries group.xlsx?dl=0

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
you concatenating numbers like 900 & 10 (900-10) but lookin' for 900-010
etc...

change B column to text format, correct lenght to 3 digits (with zeroes) then concatenate

Last edited:
Upvote 0
or use =BASE(B4,10,3) in additional column then concatenate A & addtional column

Upvote 0
you can try this
Code:
=IFNA(INDEX('adj vouchers'!$L$3:$L$59,MATCH(A4&"-"&BASE(B4,10,3),'adj vouchers'!$C$3:$C$59,0),MATCH('adj vouchers'!$K$3:$K$59,'trial balance'!$G$3:$N$3)),"")
with CSE

edit:
if your Excel doesn't support IFNA() or/and BASE() use IFERROR() or/and TEXT(B4,"000") suitably

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sandy 666. Good morning. I am going to try your formulas. thaks for the quick reply. Just curiuos : what does the BASE function do? I have never used it before!

Upvote 0
<section class="ocpArticleTitleSection" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(54, 54, 54); font-size: 10px; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; max-width: 768px;">BASE function

</section> <section class="supAppliesToSection" dir="ltr" aria-label="This article" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(54, 54, 54); font-size: 10px; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; margin: -9px auto 40px; max-width: 768px;" ms.cmpgrp="applies_to"> Excel for Office 365 Excel for Office 365 for Mac Excel 2019 Excel 2016 Excel 2019 for Mac Excel 2013 Excel 2016 for Mac Excel for Mac 2011 Excel Online Excel for iPad Excel for iPhone Excel for Android tablets Excel for Android phones Excel Mobile Less

</section> <article class="ocpArticleContent" id="ocpArticleContent" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(54, 54, 54); font-size: 10px; font-variant-numeric: normal; font-variant-east-asian: normal; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; margin-top: 20px; max-width: 768px;"> <section class="ocpIntroduction" style="box-sizing: border-box;"> This article describes the formula syntax and usage of the BASE function in Microsoft Excel.
</section> <section class="ocpSection" style="box-sizing: border-box;"> Description

Converts a number into a text representation with the given radix (base).
</section></article>

Upvote 0
Hi Sandy666: the formula somehow works: its retrieving all the journal entries for the each journal entry number in one column : I was expecting for each journal entry number its correspondent scalar value on each of their columns. For example, I was expecting on column G which is voucher number 42019, the amounts related to that particular journal entry (186k,285k and -472K only ) .Take a look the file. Thanks in advance for your help

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bmygmec42klzwkn/Journal entries group.xlsx?dl=0

Upvote 0
I correct your formula against errors only, nothing more
I didn't read your needs so you need to wait for someone else to get a solution

there are many formula masters ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes Agreed! Lets see what the array masters would resolve this. Thanks anyway for introducing the BASE function to me. Pretty handy formula!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back