INDEX curly bracket issue likely

ollyhughes1982

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi.

I have this formula, which identifies the closest events to me from a table that contains a list of distances in column I:

=IFERROR(LET(f,FILTER('parkrun Reader Dump'!B3:J10002,('parkrun Reader Dump'!K3:K10002="")*('parkrun Reader Dump'!N3:N10002=1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!O3:O10002=1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!P3:P10002=1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!AS3:AS10002<>1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!I3:I10002<200)),SORT(INDEX(f,SEQUENCE(50),{8,9,1}),1)),"")

This works perfectly, but I now want to do the same, but pick up slightly different columns (the one for volunteering (R)), but it isn’t working for me. I have put below what I think it should be, but isn’t working:

=IFERROR(LET(f,FILTER('parkrun Reader Dump'!B3:J10002,('parkrun Reader Dump'!R3:R10002="")*('parkrun Reader Dump'!N3:N10002=1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!O3:O10002=1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!AS3:AS10002<>1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!I3:I10002<200)),SORT(INDEX(f,SEQUENCE(50),{8,9,1}),1)),"")

This is what I amended:
  • I swapped K to the relevant column R
  • I removed the reference to the P column (as it isn’t needed for this one)
I’m guessing it’s the part in curly brackets ({8,9,1}) that it wrong, but I don’t know what that is doing, so am not sure how it would be amended.

Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 18.29.08.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Olly.

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
The 8 refers to col I the 9 to col J & the 1 to col B.
Just change the numbers to the columns you want.

Upvote 0
Hi. Apologies, I now know how the curly brackets part works, but my formula still doesn't. I thought that by just substituting K for R it would pick up the ones where I haven't yet volunteered, rather than ones where I haven't run, as was the case in the the original formula. The removal of the P reference is because it doesn't have to be a 5k event for volunteering, as you can volunteer at both and 5k and 2k (junior) events. These two changes should give me a list starting with Llanishen (5 miles), which is closer than Riverfront (6.34 miles). Is there something I am missing, I thought I could just substitute K for R? I have attached a link to a small version for you to please look at.

Link: Example.xlsx

The only events that shouldn't appear in the list of 50 are Newport, Newport junior and Coed Cefn-pwll-du, as these are the only three events that I have volunteered at so far.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
You need to sort the data before you can take the 50 shortest distances like
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(LET(f,SORT(FILTER('parkrun Reader Dump'!B3:J10002,('parkrun Reader Dump'!R3:R10002="")*('parkrun Reader Dump'!N3:N10002=1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!O3:O10002=1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!AS3:AS10002<>1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!I3:I10002<200)),8),INDEX(f,SEQUENCE(50),{8,9,1})),"")

Upvote 0
Solution
You need to sort the data before you can take the 50 shortest distances like
Excel Formula:
=IFERROR(LET(f,SORT(FILTER('parkrun Reader Dump'!B3:J10002,('parkrun Reader Dump'!R3:R10002="")*('parkrun Reader Dump'!N3:N10002=1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!O3:O10002=1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!AS3:AS10002<>1)*('parkrun Reader Dump'!I3:I10002<200)),8),INDEX(f,SEQUENCE(50),{8,9,1})),"")
Brilliant, thank you. Why is it that the original one didn't require the sort?

Upvote 0
You're original formula was doing the sort, but after taking 50 values.

Upvote 0
Thanks. OK, I think that needs to be amended to do the sort first too then? Not sure how it's working without the sort, but it does seem to be

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back