Index formula not working

Monicasinha

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am working in a heavy VBA and complex formula workbook. Index formula doesnt seem to be working. I am using the formula

=INDEX('Sheet1'!G417:AD516,MATCH(CONCATENATE(J5,E12,F12),'Sheet1'!A417:A516,0),MATCH(J11,'Sheet1'!G416:AD416,0)).
Result is 0.

The value however should be "JON".

On evaluating, it shows: =INDEX('Sheet1'!G417:AD516,1,1).
It is referencing to the correct cell only.
If I just put the formula =INDEX('Sheet1'!G417:AD516,1,1), it gives me the value "JON". But not through =INDEX('Sheet1'!G417:AD516,MATCH(CONCATENATE(J5,E12,F12),'Sheet1'!A417:A516,0),MATCH(J11,'Sheet1'!G416:AD416,0)).

Pls help

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hard to investigate without some sample data. With XL2BB can you make a mini sheet from the sheet that contains the formula showing E5:J12 and another mini sheet showing Sheet1 A16:H18 after hiding columns B:F?

Upvote 0
Even equal formula is not working. I mean =C3 also gives 0 if C3 has a value coming from some formula.

Upvote 0
If I change "Calculation option" to "Manual" and hit enter, then only value comes. If it is automatics, value is still 0.

Upvote 0
To see what is happening in the various elements of your formula use 'Evaluate Formula' from the 'Formula Auditing' tab of the 'Formulas' Ribbon. It evaluates the formula and shows you the result of each step in your formula. It is a good way of identifying what element is causing the problem.

Upvote 0
Yes, that is what I mentioned in my question. That I did evaluate formula but still value is 0 as finally the calculation is not happening unless I select Manual and hit enter

Upvote 0
Yes, that is what I mentioned in my question. That I did evaluate formula but still value is 0 as finally the calculation is not happening unless I select Manual and hit enter
If I change "Calculation option" to "Manual" and hit enter, then only value comes. If it is automatics, value is still 0.
Even equal formula is not working. I mean =C3 also gives 0 if C3 has a value coming from some formula.
Given all of that, what about ..
With XL2BB can you make a mini sheet from the sheet that contains the formula showing E5:J12 and another mini sheet showing Sheet1 A16:H18 after hiding columns B:F?

Upvote 0
I was able to solve this. Issue was that there was circular reference error but was not appearing in the error checking dropdown.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back