INDEX from different workbook

MKnightsS17

Board Regular
Hi all,

is there a way to perform an action in VBA that works similarly to the INDEX function but interfaces between workbooks.

To give an idea of what I mean, this is the relevant part of a code I have used to index between two worksheets in the same workbook, earlier in the macro:

Code:
Dim Ps As Worksheet

Set Ps = Worksheets("PersonSummary")

LcPs = Ps.Range("A1").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeLastCell).Column
LrPs = Ps.UsedRange.Find("*", Searchdirection:=xlPrevious, searchorder:=xlByRows).Row

For n = 2 To LrPs
Ps.Cells(n, LcPs + 1).Formula = "[COLOR=red]=INDEX(JobSummary!B:B,MATCH(C" & n & ",JobSummary!C:C,0))[/COLOR]"
Next n

Where Ps is a worksheet and JobSummary is a worksheet in the same workbook, and highlighted is the formula that works in the relevant cells.

The only method I can think of (please bear with me) involves creating a temporary sheet in the same workbook as the (hypothetical) JobSummay sheet; copying the relevant table from the (hypothetical) Ps sheet into it; putting the formula into this temporary sheet using this method i have above; then copying the relevant new indexed column back across to the other workbook; Then closing the temporary sheet. (phew!)

But with the amount of data im using this is both messy and would add alot of runtime to the macro.

Any ideas?

thanks

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
You can use INDEX/MATCH to refer to a closed workbook. Example:

Code:
Ps.Cells(n, LcPs + 1).Formula = "=INDEX('C:\[Source.xls]JobSummary'!B:B,MATCH(C" & n & ",'C:\[Source.xls]JobSummary'!C:C),0)"

Upvote 0
What would be an even greater help would be if I could use a reference to a workbook object rather than the workbook name as this could change.

Since the workbook is already open I am currently using:

Code:
For n = 2 To Inlr
Intl.Cells(n, Inlc + 1).Formula = "=INDEX('[v9mkworking_JobType3.xls]MASTER JOB LIST'!G:G,MATCH(C" & n & ",'[v9mkworking_JobType3.xls]MASTER JOB LIST'!C:C,0))"
Intl.Cells(n, Inlc + 2).Formula = "=INDEX('[v9mkworking_JobType3.xls]MASTER JOB LIST'!H:H,MATCH(C" & n & ",'[v9mkworking_JobType3.xls]MASTER JOB LIST'!C:C,0))"
Intl.Cells(n, Inlc + 3).Formula = "=INDEX('[v9mkworking_JobType3.xls]MASTER JOB LIST'!J:J,MATCH(C" & n & ",'[v9mkworking_JobType3.xls]MASTER JOB LIST'!C:C,0))"
Next n

with just the workbook and then worksheet, excluding the directory. I have tried inluding a workbook object as that I have already defined, but that doesn't work the way I'm writing it. i.e

Code:
Dim [COLOR=red]All[/COLOR] As Workbook

Set [COLOR=red]All[/COLOR] = ThisWorkbook

For n = 2 To Inlr
Intl.Cells(n, Inlc + 1).Formula = "=INDEX('[[COLOR=red]All[/COLOR]]MASTER JOB LIST'!G:G,MATCH(C" & n & ",'[[COLOR=red]All][/COLOR]MASTER JOB LIST'!C:C,0))"
Next n

Is there a way to include this properly?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Try:

Code:
Intl.Cells(n, Inlc + 1).Formula = "=INDEX('[" & All.Name & "]MASTER JOB LIST'!G:G,MATCH(C" & n & ",'[" & All.Name & "MASTER JOB LIST'!C:C,0))"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mbone Mathonsi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back