Index Function

baker_89

I have a table that lists names and dates in the rows next to each of them. Names in B3:B105 (range named "Name") and the Dates in C3:L105(range named "Requests") the entire range is B3:L105 (named "DaysOff").

I want to be able to enter a date (in cell N5) and have any name(s) be returned that matches the date.
(if possible I'd also like to be able to enter a range of dates and have the names be returned, but one at a time would suffice for now)

This is what i have so far but it keeps coming up blank.

=IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Requests,SMALL(IF(DaysOff=$N$5,ROW(Name)),ROW(3:105)),2)),"",INDEX(Requests,SMALL(IF(Name=$N$5,ROW(Name)),ROW(3:105)),2))

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
why not use autofilter on the date column. You can then filter for a single date or for a range of dates.
My suggestion is based on assumption that the date column for "DaysOff" has a single date in any cell not a text string for a date range (eg, in UK style date format, not 1/6/15-3/6/15)

Upvote 0
I suppose that would work actually but I am trying to make it simple for some co-workers who aren't the best on excel. This is for building our weekly employee schedule. When an employee requests the day off I want it to show who asked for the day off that occurs during the week that is being put together.

Upvote 0
See if this works for you.
These are array formulas and must be entered with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER.

Change ranges to match your data (named ranges).

Formula in N7 is for a single date and formula in P7 for a date range.
One question - could you ever have a duplicate date in the same row (looking at row 3 for name1 below could the date of 6/1/15 show up 2 or more times in row 3)?
Excel Workbook
ABCDEFLMNOPQ
2NamesDatesDate
3Name14/2/20156/1/20156/10/2015SingleRange
4Name25/1/2015Date5/31/2015
5Name36/1/20156/9/2015
6Name46/1/2015
7Name56/6/20156/8/2015Name1Name1
8Name66/1/2015Name4Name4
9Name6Name5
10Name5
11Name6
Sheet

Upvote 0
No the same date should never show up twice in the same row but it could in the same column, I entered this in and changed my ranges but the cell comes up showing the formula in all cells that were entered with the array, (formula text is showing).

Upvote 0
I noticed a problem with the formula for a range of dates. It returned name5 two times.
This formula (the one in P7 needs to be changed to (you will need to add your ISERROR).

Code:
=INDEX($B$3:$B$105,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF($C$3:$L$105>=$P$4,IF($C$3:$L$105<=$P$5,MATCH($B$3:$B$105,$B$3:$B$105,0))),ROW($B$3:$B$105)-ROW($B$3)+1),ROW($B$3:$B$105)-ROW($B$3)+1),ROWS($B$3:B3)))

This is an array formula that needs to be entered using CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER.

If the formula showed up as text.
Don't enter the {} around the formula. When you enter the formula with CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER Excel will put the {} around the formula for you if you do it right.

Upvote 0
When I enter these in, it shows just the same name multiple times (only 1 date occurrence for the name, and there are others within the date range), yes I forgot to enter the array properly that fixed that issue.

Upvote 0
Take a look at the last part of the formula in the example ROWS($B$3:B3). Notice that the first cell is locked the other is not, so when you copy the formula down it should change to ROWS($B$3:B4). Change range to match your data if needed.

If that's not the problem post a copy of the formula you are using.

Upvote 0
I got it to work, I was putting the array within a range of cells but when I put it in just one cell and dragged it down it worked perfectly. Thank you for your help! !

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewmorgan128

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back