=INDEX =Headache...

ourfear

Hi Peeps,

Im working on what i thought would have been an easy spreadsheet.

Basically Im looking up data from a table, then im using the index function to sort the data.

This all works fine.e.g: =INDEX($A$1:$C$7,SMALL(IF($A$1:$B$7=$E$1,ROW($A$1:$B$7)),ROW(1:2)),3)

Which looks up the text in E1 and then lists the activities that have been associated with it on a table.

What im then trying to do is to simply amalgamate these references into one cell so:

=E1&" , "&E2

The problem being that E1 = Activity 1 and E2 = #Num! as no data has been filled in on the relavent table yet. Now the =E1&" , "&E2 wont work as it also just shows #Num!

I finally fogured out that if i place a second coloumn next to my data collector that reads:

=IF(ISERROR(E1),"Error1",E1)

Then i can still combine the cells but with ERROR1 written in the cell rather then #Num!.

Now im trying to write a macro or a function that will remove the Error1 refference from the text string in my merged cell.

Complicated...yes..make sense...hope so!!

Just in case here is a link to my work sheet:

http://www.mediafire.com/?fhjtmaau45x

Many Thanks.

Russ

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Thanks for your reply. :)

That is what i have been playing with, unfortunately my cell then looks like this:

Activity 1, Activity 2, , , , , , ,

There could be up to 30 cells merged into this one cell so it would get a bit messy. :biggrin:

Upvote 0
I found a VB code to remove the Numbers out of a Postcode, Im wondering now if this can be used to remove Error1 or " " out of my cell?

Function RemoveError(Rng As String) As String
Dim Tmp As String
Dim i As Integer

Tmp = Rng
For i = Error1 To Error1
Tmp = Application.Substitute(Tmp, i, "")
Next i
RemoveError = Tmp
End Function

Upvote 0
To remove the #NUM! error in eg G2:

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(G1,$A$1:$C$7)),INDEX($A$1:$C$7,SMALL(IF($A$1:$B$7=$G$1,ROW($A$1:$B$7)),ROW(1:2)),3),"")

Upvote 0
Thats returning as a blank cell even if the text it's looking for is present.

Please feel free to download the Zip file in my original post and have a ply. Ive taken all the other pages out except the 3
relevant ones. : )

many thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Sorry. In E2 try:

=IF((COUNTIF($A$1:$A$7,E$1)+COUNTIF($A$1:$A$7,E$1)),INDEX($A$1:$C$7,SMALL(IF($A$1:$B$7=E$1,ROW($A$1:$B$7)),ROW(1:2)),3),"")

Upvote 0
In E2 that formula returns:

Activity 3 - Three

If copied to G2 it becomes:

=IF((COUNTIF($A$1:$A$7,G$1)+COUNTIF($A$1:$A$7,G$1)),INDEX($A$1:$C$7,SMALL(IF($A$1:$B$7=G$1,ROW($A$1:$B$7)),ROW(1:2)),3),"")

and returns null.

Upvote 0
Apologies, In E2 that formula does return Activity 3, and copied into E3 it shows Activity 4, but in E4 it becomes #Num! again.

Sorry to be a pain!!!1 : )

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back