Hello all,

I have a set of data pretty big. A sample given below

A B
PO NUmber Comments
202020 9/16/14 Open
202020 9/2/14 Open
202020 9/17/14 Closed
202020 9/11/14 Open

I have been successful at pulling information from column B by matching PO number from column A using an =INdex(B:B,match(true,index(A:A=sheet2A1,0),0). I want the most recent update. However, the function does not work with multiple entries because I always get the first found entry (in the example above 9/16/14 Open). Is there a way to modify the function to pull the most recent input by date?

Note: colunm B contains date and text.

Any help will be appreciatted

Weasel,

Lets change the scenario. What if we take your data set above and say that I want to pull the information on Column C, by matching PO in column A and from the most recent date on column B?
Remember the POs have duplicates and I want the result from the most recent input/

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Have you tried Aladin's formula based on your original question?

to address the change though maybe something like...

=INDEX(C2:C6,MATCH(MAX(IF(A2:A6=E2,B2:B6)),B2:B6,0)) Control shift enter

with E2 housing the PO number, Dates in Column B, and Comments in column C.

Upvote 0
Aladin,

Thansk for your contribution. I tried your formula and adjusted as needed. I have a question about the "open". What are you referring to? I mean the notes vary from PO from PO, meaning I have all sorts of comments. For example

9/16/14 Job dispositioned

9/14/14 not received

9/16/13 In process

etc etc

Upvote 0
Aladin,

Thansk for your contribution. I tried your formula and adjusted as needed. I have a question about the "open". What are you referring to? I mean the notes vary from PO from PO, meaning I have all sorts of comments. For example

9/16/14 Job dispositioned

9/14/14 not received

9/16/13 In process

etc etc

Then you should specify the comment of interest as a variable like PO number.

Sheet2

A1 houses a PO number of interest.

A2 houses a comment of interest.

A3, control+shift+enter, not just enter:
Rich (BB code):
=INDEX(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$5,MATCH(TEXT(MAX(IF(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5=A$1,
  IF(REPLACE(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$5,1,FIND(" ",Sheet1!$B$2:$B$5),"")=A$2,
  LEFT(Sheet1!$B$2:$B$5,FIND(" ",Sheet1!$B$2:$B$5))+0))),"m/d/yy")&" "&A$2,
  Sheet1!$B$2:$B$5,0))

You must realize that the comments separated from dates and put in cells of their own, say, in column C, gives you a lay-out tha is to process.

Upvote 0
Aladin,

I agree. Problem is the dates and comments are on the same column (in my case column B). I cannot reference any coments or dates. All I would like to do is pull the info on column B by referencing the PO, taking into account that column contains dates and texts that are more than 100 characters long in some cases.
Is it possible?

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Aladin,

I agree. Problem is the dates and comments are on the same column (in my case column B). I cannot reference any coments or dates. All I would like to do is pull the info on column B by referencing the PO, taking into account that column contains dates and texts that are more than 100 characters long in some cases.
Is it possible?

Thanks for your help.

Didn't I alredy show that it's possible?
See the workbook how the suggested formula works:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65698317/Mr%20Ramos%20%20conditional%20max%20date%20tucked%20in%20text.xlsx

Upvote 0
Aladin,

I checked your excel file. And it works great. But remember what I said. "I cannot reference any coments or dates". You are referencing the text "open" in your formula. How can I do that with column B which contains both dates and text that are more than 100 characters long in some cases.

Thanks for your input by the way.

Upvote 0
Aladin,

I checked your excel file. And it works great. But remember what I said. "I cannot reference any coments or dates". You are referencing the text "open" in your formula. How can I do that with column B which contains both dates and text that are more than 100 characters long in some cases.

Thanks for your input by the way.

The formula references and processes the column B of Sheet1 which consists of date + comment strings. Have a better look at the file provided to you for perusal.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back