INDEX MATCH extract error - Sheet to Sheet - XAMPLE SHOWN

ChrisOK

Used to do this all the time and now that I've been away, I've forgotten why this won't work!
Really need it to extract from 1 WORKBOOK to a different WORKBOOK but out of desperation, I'm testing 1 workbook trying to simply extract from SHEET 1 to SHEET 2 for simplicity using an INDEX (look up) and MATCH function.

If I recall correctly, I can NOT use LOOKUP unless the data resides in the 1st column... so, please help advise why I'm getting "N/A" with the following formula:
=INDEX(Sheet1!B2:B5,MATCH(C2,Sheet1!C2:C5,FALSE),1)

I used to be able to post image/file attachments in past years - not sure why I am unable today. Sorry, I know those are extremely helpful!
HERE's a TEXT VISUAL INSTEAD:

SHEET1
.....A...........B..........C
1..VENDOR...BOOTH...RATING
2..abc.........555.......gold
3..ggg.........333.......plat
4..fff...........111.......silver
5..zzz..........222.......bronze

SHEET 2 (this is the sheet that's trying to extract data into it by looking into Sheet 1 at the "BOOTH" number and if a MATCH is found, it extracts over the "RATING" (gold, silver etc) and pastes it into Sheet2 column

.....A............B.................C..........D.....
1..VENDOR...ADDRESS.....BOOTH....RATING
2..abc.........132kjkjs.......555........#N/A <<<< this D2 cell should say "gold"
3..ggg.........23439fkf......333 ........#N/A
4..fff...........3493xx........111 ........#N/A
5..zzz..........943 eros......222........#N/A

BY THE WAY, I've tested both sheets to verify that the numbers shown for the "BOOTH" numbers are TRUE numbers using the following:
=ISNUMBER(C2) and it returns "TRUE"

I also chunked the original file and created this test file from scratch to avoid any issues of trailing spaces, etc.... (I manually entered this data and did not copy/paste)

I even tried 'defining a name range' in the other files and had no luck (thinking that the formula may like using a named range better than long file and sheet name refs)... anyhow, I've exhausted my ideas on what it might be...

I've read that the above are common issues that would cause the "N/A" but eliminated those as possibilities before requesting your help.

Thanks so much!
Chris

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
If you're matching both numbers, formula should be:
=INDEX(Sheet1!C2:C5,MATCH(C2,Sheet1!B2:B5,FALSE),1)

Upvote 0
I've found that it is working - however, when a BOOTH # is not found it shows: "N/A"
How can the function be changed to reflect a sortable term like "Not Present" (meaning this vendor did not attend this particular event)

With something like that, we can sort the "Not Present" rows and provide reporting of how many were GOLD, SILVER, PLATINUM and "NOT PRESENT"

Upvote 0
I've found that it is working - however, when a BOOTH # is not found it shows: "N/A"
How can the function be changed to reflect a sortable term like "Not Present" (meaning this vendor did not attend this particular event)

With something like that, we can sort the "Not Present" rows and provide reporting of how many were GOLD, SILVER, PLATINUM and "NOT PRESENT"
What version of Excel are you using?

If you're using Excel 2007 and later:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!C2:C5,MATCH(C2,Sheet1!B2:B5,0)),"Not Present")

This one will work in any version of Excel:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(C2,Sheet1!B2:B5,0)),"Not Present",INDEX(Sheet1!C2:C5,MATCH(C2,Sheet1!B2:B5,0)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back