index/ match formula, i think

belfast

Hello
I have a top row of column headings but the column headings may be the same - a, b, c, a, a, b. etc. In the columns below the column headings are many blank cells and some with numbers, randomly distributed. I need a formula which sums all the numbers in rows which have 'a' as a column heading. I think it's an array of some sort or a combination of index and match.

I hope this is clear enough. I would appreciate any help

The answer in Andreas example would be 58.
If you'll bear with me I don't think I,ve asked the question very well. Can I try again?

I have a set of data of around 100 rows with column headings in row 1. The column headings may be the same eg a, b, c, a, a , c. In the cells below each column header there are many blank cells and some numbers, randomly distributed. At the extreme right I have a column which sums the numbers in each row. I need a formula which sums those row totals in the right hand column whose rows contain one or more nonblank cells with a column header of 'a'.
I hope i have explained that prperly . I would appreciate any help

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
On 2002-09-12 13:06, belfast wrote:
The answer in Andreas example would be 58.
If you'll bear with me I don't think I,ve asked the question very well. Can I try again?

I have a set of data of around 100 rows with column headings in row 1. The column headings may be the same eg a, b, c, a, a , c. In the cells below each column header there are many blank cells and some numbers, randomly distributed. At the extreme right I have a column which sums the numbers in each row. I need a formula which sums those row totals in the right hand column whose rows contain one or more nonblank cells with a column header of 'a'.
I hope i have explained that prperly . I would appreciate any help

If I just sum all the numbers in the Andreas data, the result is 59. How did you arrive at 58?

Upvote 0
On 2002-09-12 13:31, belfast wrote:
Sorry it is 59

So you're summing up everything... I don't think I understand what the problem is... Can you give yourself a small example along with the expected result?

Upvote 0
hello all
Book1
ABCDEFGH
1abcabatotalstotalswithcondition
11abcabatotalstotalswithcondition
Sheet1

I am sure Aladin has a better way to do it,

hth

Upvote 0
I hvaent cracked how to send examples yet but if you refer to Andreas's example, if cells A4 and F4 were blank the answer would be 46. You only sum those rows which have a nonblank cell in a row which has 'a' at the top.
Keep trying please

Upvote 0
I haven't cracked how to send examples yet but if you refer to Andreas's example, if cells A4 and F4 were blank the answer would be 46. You only sum those rows which have a nonblank cell in a row which has 'a' at the top.
Keep trying please

Upvote 0
Yes Andreas
I think that's it. Than you very much indeed. Thanks too, to Aladin. I was not making it very clear.
Belfast

Upvote 0
Hello Belfast

did you notice my post above ?

Upvote 0
how about this - assuming that your column headings are in cells A1:F1, place this formula in cell G1:

=SUMIF($A$1:$F$1,"A",A2:F2)

which will total all the cells in A2:F2 that contain an "A" in the column heading. copy this formula down column G to the last row of your data. then you can total column G to get you total for all rows. is this what you are trying to do? if not, hope you figure it out - if anybody can it's probably Aladin

HTH
kevin

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back