Index Match Function not working properly

Mychaltb

Hi all,

I have an index match formula I need some help with. The cell I enter the formula in returns the correct value so I know it is working but for some reason when I drag it down it just returns the same value as the first cell. Even when I use the Cntl + Shift + Enter it does the same thing. Is there something I am missing with using my formula? Please see formula below.

=INDEX('Sheet2'!A:B,MATCH(Y2,'Sheet2'!A:A,0),2)

Sheet2 = Lookup values where column A is the list taken from column Y on sheet 1. Column B is what I want to return.

Any advice on what I am doing wrong is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks,
Mychal

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
What is in Y3? When you drag the formula down it will now match to what is in Y3, if Y2=Y3 then you will return the same item.

Upvote 0
Formula looks good to me and looks like it will adjust when copied down...

=INDEX('Sheet2'!A:B,MATCH(Y3,'Sheet2'!A:A,0),2)
=INDEX('Sheet2'!A:B,MATCH(Y4,'Sheet2'!A:A,0),2)
=INDEX('Sheet2'!A:B,MATCH(Y5,'Sheet2'!A:A,0),2)

Is that what is happening when you copy down?

Upvote 0
Column Y is the long list of categories. In Sheet 2 Column A is the list of categories with duplicates removed) and Column B is what I want the categories to return as. See example below:

Column Y:
Company Promotions
Company Promotions
Company Event
Company Marketing
Company Promotional Sample
Company Promotional Stand

Sheet 2 Column B:
Promotions
Promotions
Events
Marketing
Promotions
Promotions

Let me know if you need more info.

Upvote 0
FDibbons - Yes that is what is returning when I drag it down, but for some reason "promotions" is returned in all cells when I drag formula down.

Upvote 0
Describing a problem with a supposedly non-working formula does often not help the problem owner or the problem solver.

Is it possible that you post 5 rows of the relevant data from Sheet1 and the same from Sheet2 along with the results which must obtain? Please just in words, not in some formula.

Upvote 0
Agree with Aladin.

For now, lets forget about the INDEX part (and the MATCH, for that matter, too). Can you tell me what is in...
Y3
Y4
Y5

Upvote 0
T. Valko - Thank you! I had forgot I had turned this to manual! This did the trick, thank you so much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back