Index / Match function question

dolphn22

Board Regular
Hi all,

I think the best thing for me to do is give an example as I am unsure how to explain it.

I have data in column A in a tab labeled "Banking". The data in cell A1 is xxxxx1043xxxxx. I have a list of numbers in column A in the tab "matching". 1043 is one of the numbers. I want to cross reference A1 on the banking tab to column A on the matching tab and pull the data in column B next to the match. Typically, I use an index / match formula to do this. However, becuase it is not an exact match, it doesn't work.

Can anyone help me create a formula to be able to accomplish this task. I can breakout all of the numbers out, but unfortunately, the # of characters and such don't line up so it is very time consuming. i want to be able to cross refernce the two leaving the extra data in and still get the same result.

Any guidance here would be very greatly apprciated.

Thank You,
Darrin

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
You can still use an exact match, but put the wildcard tags on either side of 1043 in the match function. So instead of MATCH(
#VALUE!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back