INDEX/MATCH getting #NA on imported data sheet

kidneythief

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi guys, got a little stumped here, hope someone can help. Apologies if the details are a little confusing.

So we have several Daily Records workbooks where the bulk of daily sales/inventory data input is done. The main sheets in question are:
(1) Transposed, and (2) Price List

The Transposed Sheet contains rearranged data from an exported sales report from my POS app that's transposed with VBA code.
There's two pertinent columns here: (1) POS Code & (2) Item Name

The POS Code column (Column R) is filled in with a shortened item name from the POS exported file. The Item Name column starts empty.

The Price List Sheet contains a list of products with details like item name, price, etc. It contains a column both for the POS Code item
names (Column E) as well as a column with the full item names (Column B).

I then use this basic INDEX/MATCH formula to pull the full item name from the Price List Sheet into the Item Name column on the Transposed
Sheet:

=IF(ISBLANK(R1),"",INDEX('Price List'!B:B, MATCH(R1,'Price List'!E:E,0)))

This all works as it should, but I've made a change of creating a second, external Price List workbook that all Daily Records workbooks link with via
a query so that their individual price list sheets are synced and automatically updated. (I did this through the browse for more option under
connections then importing data as a table, if that matters)

The problem is, the INDEX/MATCH formula now returns a #NA error. What could be going wrong? Did I import the data wrong perhaps? I
also tried changing the lookup arrays to the external Price List workbook itself, to no avail.

The office also has a shared OneDrive and I've tried changing the INDEX/MATCH source arrays to a Price List workbook uploaded in the cloud and in
the local OneDrive folder. Is there a better way of doing what I'm trying to do? Any leads and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
For now, I would focus only on this part of the formula:
Excel Formula:
MATCH(R1,'Price List'!E:E,0)
as the error suggests MATCH is not finding anything. Is 'Price List'!E:E where you expect to find a value that matches R1? Have you manually found the first match in E:E (that's what MATCH will do). It sounds like E:E contains text data types. After manually finding a match, let's say in 'Price List'!E10, does =R1='Price List'!E10 return TRUE? If not, check the length of the text strings...LEN(ref) to see if there might be some non-displaying characters that need to be removed. It's difficult to say with certainty without more detail.

Upvote 0
Solution
If not, check the length of the text strings...LEN(ref) to see if there might be some non-displaying characters that need to be removed.
Ah you're right, it was that simple. An update in my POS had changed the output I was drawing data from, adding odd spaces in some columns. Lol a bit embarrassing I missed that ?
Thank you for pointing me in that direction KRice!

Upvote 0
Excellent...I'm glad you found the issue! You can probably get rid of those unwanted characters by wrapping the reference to the cell/range with TRIM or CLEAN. If that doesn't work, then you may have to dig deeper to determine the ASCII code of the offending character(s) for a more targeted removal.

Upvote 0
Excellent...I'm glad you found the issue! You can probably get rid of those unwanted characters by wrapping the reference to the cell/range with TRIM or CLEAN. If that doesn't work, then you may have to dig deeper to determine the ASCII code of the offending character(s) for a more targeted removal.
Great idea, I'll incorporate TRIM/CLEAN into the Transposed Sheet! But now I'm getting grey screens, what a headache ? I think they're really pushing me to switch to 365

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back