Index Match IF Trouble

GreggomyEggo

I'm working from a document that contains two tabs; starts and stops. The starts tab details an index of the month/year of when a widget started. The stops tab details the same for when the widget stopped. I'm currently using a Index Match IF formula to attempt to pull the start into the stop so that I can then calculate the time between the start and stop, though my formula isn't pulling in all of the data I need. The original data has ~12k rows in each starts and stops and contains varying numbers of starts and stops for each widget id. If my array were to work properly, the second 19 in "Current Formula Result" would return the number 34 from the start index.

WidgetIDStartIndexWidgetIDStopIndexCurrent Formula ResultCurrent Formula
555555 195555552{=IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$3,MATCH(D2,IF(E2>$B$2:$B$3,$A$2:$A$3),0)),"")}
555555 345555553019{=IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$3,MATCH(D3,IF(E3>$B$2:$B$3,$A$2:$A$3),0)),"")}
5555555119{=IFERROR(INDEX($B$2:$B$3,MATCH(D4,IF(E4>$B$2:$B$3,$A$2:$A$3),0)),"")}

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
If you have the MAXIFS function, try the formula in E2. (MAXIFS is available in Excel 365). If not, try the array formula in F2.

ABCDEFG
1WidgetIDStartIndexWidgetIDStopIndexCurrent Formula Result

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet6

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
E2=MAXIFS($B:$B,$A:$A,C2,$B:$B,"<"&D2)

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Array Formulas
CellFormula
F2{=MAX(IF($A$2:$A$3=C2,IF($B$2:$B$3< D2,$B$2:$B$3<d2,$b$2:$b$3< font="">)</d2,$b$2:$b$3<>))}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Eric,

Thank you for helping on this and for posting the array as I missed mentioning that I am running Excel 2016.

The array you posted won't work for what I am attempting to accomplish though. This is because the Widget ID for Starts is not always contained in Stops or vise versa. Thus i need to match the Widget ID in Stops, to the Widget ID in Starts and then pull over the corresponding Start but that is less than or equal to the stop and greater than the prior start.

Let me know if I can clarify any of that.

Upvote 0
I'm a little puzzled. How can you look up a start time for a Widget ID if the Widget ID is not in the start table? Can you show an example?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back