Index - Match isn't enough. How do I...

CatyH

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Hi all! Here's my dilemma:

I have a huge array (here represented by columns with headers 1a,1b,1c, and 1d. Each row may or may not have a value in it for the corresponding column (these are indices and only increasing - basically flags to detect the first instance of 1a is a Deer, the second instance of 1a is a Fox, and so on).

I'm trying to program a way that can look up :
If cell is 1a then find the first instance (1) and return its animal (Deer)
If cell is 1a then find the second instance (2) and return its animal (Fox)
If cell is 1a then find the third instance of (3) and return its animal (not found so returns null). etc etc

If cell is 1b then find the first instance (1) and return its animal (Elephant) etc etc..

the problem is that "cell" is a variable. So I won't always know which column (1a, 1b, 1c, etc) to use as the index/match reference.

Currently, the only way I can conceive of this is to create the Index with Match and have nested IF statements, one for 1a, one for 1b, etc... super-duper clunky... considering it's not just 1a-1d but actually 1a-1z!

Is there an index within an index or a an index within a match... or a match within a match that can do this?

I'm not averse to VBA, but if the solution is possible without it, I'd like to try that. THANK YOU!

1a1b1c1d
Deer11
Elephant1
Fox22
Goat31

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Here's my clunky code:

=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$7,IF($G$2=$B$1,MATCH($G$3,$B$2:$B$7,0),IF($G$2=$C$1,MATCH($G$3,$C$2:$C$7,0),IF($G$2=$D$1,MATCH($G$3,$D$2:$D$7,0),IF($G$2=$E$1,MATCH($G$3,$E$2:$E$7,0),"")))),1),"")

Hi all! Here's my dilemma:

I have a huge array (here represented by columns with headers 1a,1b,1c, and 1d. Each row may or may not have a value in it for the corresponding column (these are indices and only increasing - basically flags to detect the first instance of 1a is a Deer, the second instance of 1a is a Fox, and so on).

I'm trying to program a way that can look up :
If cell is 1a then find the first instance (1) and return its animal (Deer)
If cell is 1a then find the second instance (2) and return its animal (Fox)
If cell is 1a then find the third instance of (3) and return its animal (not found so returns null). etc etc

If cell is 1b then find the first instance (1) and return its animal (Elephant) etc etc..

the problem is that "cell" is a variable. So I won't always know which column (1a, 1b, 1c, etc) to use as the index/match reference.

Currently, the only way I can conceive of this is to create the Index with Match and have nested IF statements, one for 1a, one for 1b, etc... super-duper clunky... considering it's not just 1a-1d but actually 1a-1z!

Is there an index within an index or a an index within a match... or a match within a match that can do this?

I'm not averse to VBA, but if the solution is possible without it, I'd like to try that. THANK YOU!

1a1b1c1d
Deer11
Elephant1
Fox22
Goat31

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I understand the question but assuming "cell" is B1 then does this satisfy?

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZAAABACAD
1Cell1b
2From:$F$4
3To:$F$91a1b1c1d1e1f1g1h1i1j1k1l1m1n1o1p1q1r1s1t1u1v1w1x1y1z
4How Many?3Deer1111
5Elephant1121
6AnimalElephantFox223112
7FoxGoat3142
8GoatMole1523
9 Badger226
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2B2=ADDRESS(ROW($D$4),MATCH($B$1,$E$3:$AD$3,0)+COLUMN($D$3))
B3B3=ADDRESS(COUNTA($D$4:$D$999)+ROW($D$3),MATCH($B$1,$E$3:$AD$3,0)+COLUMN($D$3))
B4B4=COUNT(INDIRECT(B2&":"&B3))
B6:B10B6=IF(ROWS($A$6:$A6)>$B$4,"",INDEX($D$4:$D$999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW($D$4:$D$999)-ROW($D$3)/(INDIRECT($B$2&":"&$B$3)<>""),ROWS($A$6:$A7)-1)))

Upvote 0
Thank you, Toadstool! :)

well... I guess it would have helped if I spelled out the inputs and outputs... I wanted the input to be which column (1a-1z) and the number (In your example, 1-6, though for 1a you only have either 1 or 2). The OUTPUT would be the associated animal.

So - if input is 1k and 2; output would be Fox.

I THINK I've been able to put something together using INDEX with CHOOSE, though I did have to go through an extremely tedious process of creating 1a-1z named ranges (oh... and ok... since nothing is every easy... it was actually 1a-1j,2a-2j,3a-3f,4a-4h... on each of 10 different tabs... so 340 named ranges which i created using VB), but any one formula is only referring to one of the tabs... so here's my current solution... though... I THINK I should be able to be an array of arrays?

I'm thinking this formula COULD be simplified IF I were allowed to create an array, say SDR1, that was comprised of SDR_1a, SDR_1b, etc...

?

=INDEX('State Data Request #1'!$A$2:$A$99,MATCH($X3,CHOOSE(VLOOKUP($A3,RQs!$A:$G,7,FALSE),SDR1_1a,SDR1_1b,SDR1_1c,SDR1_1d,SDR1_1e,SDR1_1f,SDR1_1g,SDR1_1h,SDR1_1i,SDR1_1j,SDR1_2a,SDR1_2b,SDR1_2c,SDR1_2d,SDR1_2e,SDR1_2f,SDR1_2g,SDR1_2h,SDR1_2i,SDR1_2j,SDR1_3a,SDR1_3b,SDR1_3c,SDR1_3d,SDR1_3e,SDR1_3f,SDR1_4a,SDR1_4b,SDR1_4c,SDR1_4d,SDR1_4e,SDR1_4f,SDR1_4g,SDR1_4h),0),1)[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
may be

Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKL
11a1b1c1d1e1f1g1h1i1j1k
2Deer1111
3Elephant1121
4Fox223112
5Goat3142
6Mole1523
7Badger226
10Input1i2
11OutputGoat
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B11B11=INDEX(A2:A7,MATCH(C10,OFFSET($A$1,1,MATCH(B10,B1:L1,0),6,1),0))

Upvote 0
AlanY!!!! THIS IS IT!!!!!!

I wish I understood what the OFFSET was doing here... I mean I sort of get it... but never in a million years would I have put this together! HOW?! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

may be

Upvote 0
you're welcome

the offset() function is just one way to define the location and size of a range,

Upvote 0
you're welcome

the offset() function is just one way to define the location and size of a range,
I've used it in dynamic pick-lists and for dynamic printing ranges (though sadly, the offset works only the first time and doesn't stay truly dynamic in printing situations for some odd reason)... but never in a million years did i put this together... GENIUS! seriously! I just implemented the code on each of the 10 reference tabs and my main summary sheet is DONE in a fraction of the time it took me to set up all those unneeded NamedRanges...

such an elegant solution! I did have to modify it a bit adding 8 to the Offset part because the index (col A) was not actually flush with the codes. There were 8 rows in between where users are picking the codes from a series of dropdowns. My grid of codes is the intermediate step to index the occurrence of each code for each row and count them down the page.

This was a fun project, made much more fun by this super-cool solution. You SERIOUSLY have NO IDEA how awesome this is!!!! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back