Index-match or Xlookup question

Oras78

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying find a value within a range using choose formula, but the workbook is big and choose is taking so much memory that it slowing the workbook a lot. I tried to find a solution for it, but so far I haven't found anything that might work yet. I was thinking Index and match, but I'd need the row match to find the description within the index area and match is a one way street formula. Pretty much what I'm looking for is. cell E3-G6 to give me the description from column A, based on the information in column I-N. ex. if AK answer (M3) is "Yes", therefore "Bonus Addback" is showing in AK terminology (N3) which it should translate that description to Arkansas (G3). I've been using choose to find "Yes" to give me the description and manually adjusting the formula for every state in the workbook, but it seems to be a very time consuming on top of the workbook being super slow as it is. Any help could be highly appreciated?

Attachments

• Workbook.png
    Workbook.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
If you post using XL2BB it will help seeing what you're trying to do.

Upvote 0
Hi,

if you see rows 6 and 7 have the original formula I'm using right now, but the problem is that the description can be anywhere within the table range and a simple xlookup or index-match can't do that. I tried using a helper in row P, but obviously it only works if you have one description.

I'm trying to use XL2BB but for some odd reason I can't paste it here. I looked at some other threads, but I didn't see a solution for it. so the best I can do is to use screenshots sorry about using this approach!

Attachments

• Workbook_v2.png
    Workbook_v2.png
    32 KB · Views: 7
Upvote 0
After looking at various threads I found a solution to XL2BB.

Just to rephrase my help request, I need a formula that can search the description in column "A" within the raw data in columns I-N based on its applicable state. the problem I'm facing is that the descriptions ex. "AL Terminology" gets shifted every often, as new data is entered, therefore I would need to rearrange my formulas whenever that happens. I tried to use a helper but it's not working when there are two descriptions in the same row. any help would be really appreciated as I have a deadline approaching faster than expected.

Mr Excel Testing.xlsx
AEFGHIJKLMNOP
1DESCRIPTIONAlabamaArizonaArkansasALALAZAZAKAK
2AL TerminologyAZ TerminologyAK TerminologyOriginal FormulaAL AnswerAL TerminologyAZ AnswerAZ TerminologyAK AnswerAK TerminologyHelper
3Bonus AddbackX XYesBonus AddbackNo YesBonus AddbackBonus Addback
4Bonus Addback - QIPXX YesBonus Addback - QIPYesBonus Addback - QIPNo Bonus Addback - QIP
5Bonus SubtractionX  YesBonus SubtractionNo No Bonus Subtraction
6AL Bonus 2020 SubtractionX  XYesAL Bonus 2020 SubtractionYesAZ Bonus 2020 SubtractionNo Bonus 2020 Subtraction
7AZ Bonus 2020 Subtraction X XNo NoNo 
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2E2="AL"&" Terminology"
F2F2="AZ"&" Terminology"
G2G2="AK"&" Terminology"
E3:G5E3=IF(XLOOKUP($A3,$P$3:$P$7,XLOOKUP(E$2,$I$2:$N$2,$I$3:$N$7))=$A3,"X","")
E6:E7E6=IF(IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A6,CHOOSE({1,2},J$3:J$8,I$3:I$8),2,0),"")="Yes","X","")
F6:F7F6=IF(IFERROR(VLOOKUP($A6,CHOOSE({1,2},L$3:L$8,K$3:K$8),2,0),"")="Yes","X","")
G6:G7G6=XLOOKUP($A6,$P$3:$P$7,XLOOKUP(G$2,$I$2:$N$2,$I$3:$N$7),"")
I2,M2,K2I2=I1&" Answer"
J2,N2,L2J2=J1&" Terminology"
J3:J5,N3:N7,L3:L5J3=IF(AND(I3="Yes",$A3<>""),$P3,"")
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
F5Cell ValueduplicatestextNO
P3:P7Cell ValueduplicatestextNO
N3:N7,J3:J7,L3:L7Cell ValueduplicatestextNO
A3:A7Cell ValueduplicatestextNO

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back