Index Match Postcodes

steveh1873

Hi All,

I have a scenario where I have made a County/Country generator based upon an input cell's text (which in this case is partial Postcodes e.g. LU1, MK11...etc) using the formula

=INDEX($A$2:$A$2873,MATCH(E2,$B$2:$B$2873,))

where

$A$2:$A$2873 = List of Counties
E2 = My input text cell
$B$2:$B$2873 = List of Partial Postcodes (LU1, MK1....)

The issue I have is, is that this only works when the exact match occurs (LU1, MK11...etc) but what I need is for the formula to pick up the partials (LU1, MK11...etc) when a full Postcode is entered (e.g. LU18NP). Another little caveat is that the postcode list in the table has either 3 or 4 characters.

Is someone able to assist me in tweaking the formula to complete the job that is needed.

9quxie.jpg

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
How many different Postcode string lengths can there be? E.g. LU1 1XX or can it be LU10 20XX? Also will there be a space separator - i.e LU1 8HS or will it be LU18HS?

Upvote 0

For UK postcodes, the postcode area is always the full postcode unit minus the last 3 characters. So, if you use a formula like =TRIM(LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-3)), where cell A1 contains your full postcode unit, then it will return the postcode area. (By using TRIM, it doesn't matter whether or not the full postcode unit contains a space.)

Upvote 0
anglais428: Thanks for the reply,

String Lengths vary between the following: L1 1XX, L11 1XX, LU1 1XX & LU11 1XX.

They also currently have spaces. Can this be completed with the spaces still present (the postcodes are currently presented with a space at the point of delivery, however this doesn't need to be absolute if it makes this process easier)

Upvote 0
gpeacock had you on the right track.

Try:

=IFERROR(IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$A$5000,MATCH(TRIM(LEFT(E2,LEN(E2)-3)),$B$1:$B$5000,0)),INDEX($A$1:$A$5000,MATCH(E2,$B$1:$B$5000,0))),"Code Not Found")

Upvote 0
Thank you ever so much.

Absolute gem of a formula. I've just inserted this between Generator and County which creates an extra step to getting the end result. My original formula still remains in tact, but this is a cheeky & necessary addition, so thank you once again

Upvote 0
That formula should return County. For Country change the A1:A5000 part to C1:C5000.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solitario

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back