Index/Match problem

SFCChase

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Good morning all,

Hoping for some assistance. I have a spreadsheet that uses an Index/Match formula to return an exam score off of another tab and it works beautifully. I have been asked to improve it by making a change to the look of a final grade sheet. Currently the Index/Match results in a 0 for any exam that the student has not taken. Is there a way to change that 0 to either a - or a blank for exams that have no score? At this time the data page has a blank it in for exams that haven't been taken and I would like to avoid having to manually enter a - into each exam that isn't taken (it would be time consuming as well as require me to re-write a bunch of other formulas that read those columns). If there is more information needed, please let me know.

DATA SHEET
PVT SNUFFYINITIALRETEST ARETEST BFINAL
EXAM 1100100
EXAM 2708076
EXAM 38484
EXAM 4

CURRENT GRADE SHEET
PVT SNUFFYINITALRETEST ARETEST BFINALGRADE
EXAM 110000100A
EXAM 27080076C
EXAM 3084084B
EXAM 40000F

DESIRED GRADE SHEET
PVT SNUFFYINITIALRETEST ARETEST BFINALGRADE
EXAM 1100--100A
EXAM 27080-76C
EXAM 3-84-84B
EXAM 4-----

Final grade on data sheet has an embedded formula that calculates scores for a retest (best they can do is a 76 if they pass retest). Grade score on grade sheets is calculated from final scores.

sorry for not being able to upload the actual sheet but i'm on a government computer that is less than cooperative.

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
What is your current formula?

Upvote 0
What is your current formula?
That would probably help wouldn't it? LOL

I had tried to simplify the spreadsheet since i couldn't upload and ended up making more work for myself. The data sheet actually resembles this more closely

DATA SHEET
STUDENTEXAM 1 INITIALEXAM 1 RETEST AEXAM 1 RETEST BEXAM 2 INITIALEXAM 2 RETEST AEXAM 2 RETEST BEXAM 3 INITIALEXAM 3 RETEST AEXAM 3 RETEST BEXAM 4 INITIALEXAM 4 RETEST AEXAM 4 RETEST B
PVT SNUFFY100708084
PFC JONES
SGT SMITH
PV2 ADAMS
SPC MURPHY

Each student would have grades for each exam. My current Grade sheet uses a dropdown to select the student, which in turn has the grades read from the data sheet using the formula =IF($A$1="","",INDEX('Data Sheet'!$A$2:$FH$151,MATCH($A$1,'Master Data Flow Sheet'!$A$2:$A$151,0),MATCH($B1,'Data Sheet'!$A$1:$FH$1,0)))

The formula would be in cell B2 of the Grade sheet and then copied to all other cells on the grade sheet.

Upvote 0
Thanks for that, how about
Excel Formula:
=IF($A$1="","",IFERROR(1/(1/INDEX('Data Sheet'!$A$2:$FH$151,MATCH($A$1,'Master Data Flow Sheet'!$A$2:$A$151,0),MATCH($B1,'Data Sheet'!$A$1:$FH$1,0))),"-"))

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for that, how about
Excel Formula:
=IF($A$1="","",IFERROR(1/(1/INDEX('Data Sheet'!$A$2:$FH$151,MATCH($A$1,'Master Data Flow Sheet'!$A$2:$A$151,0),MATCH($B1,'Data Sheet'!$A$1:$FH$1,0))),"-"))
Thanks a lot! I've got to read up on IFERROR formulas....seems like they've been an answer on a couple of my questions and they still never pop into thought when i need them.

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back