Index Match - Random Blank in Calculated Column

hmltnangel

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Afternoon all,

I have an Index Match Formula which works perfect, except for one radnom result in the middle of a calculated colum in the table.

The formula is as follows:

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!$A$1:$AX$50,MATCH([@[Age(at anticipated end date)]],Sheet2!$A$1:$A$50,0),MATCH([@[Full years of service]],Sheet2!$A$1:$AX$1,0)),"")

For one cell, this returns blank instead of the excepted result of "27" Evaluating the formula shows its not able to find teh second match in the data, but I have checked formatting etc and cant make it work. It may be that this is the farthest column along. But I just cannot figure out this simple error.

Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
your formula will only find the first match, for second or third match etc, have a look of this

Upvote 0
Thanks ALan,

Its not this either. I have years of service 1-50 along the columns, ages 18-65 down the rows. I can see it matches the row number perfect - row 40, but then it wont find the years of service figure in the column to allow the intersect.

Upvote 0
Is this for all years of service or just one?

Upvote 0
is this part of the formula identify the column?

MATCH([@[Full years of service]],Sheet2!$A$1:$AX$1,0)

Upvote 0
Thats it Alan. Years of Service is in A1:AX50

Fluff, it seems to happen from 21 years of service onwards

Upvote 0
In that case check that 21 onwards are numbers & not text and that they don't have any leading/trailing spaces, also check the values in the Full years of service column.

Upvote 0
Exactly my thoughts. First thing I done. Even tried format painter as well to match the formats of the earlier columns. Nothing. Its so weird. Th efull years of service column is a "Rounddown" formula. Would that affect it? It rounds down to 0 digits, so effectively rounds down to the nearest whole number.

Upvote 0
As long as they are whole numbers that should not affect it, what happens if you change the 2nd Match to an approximate match?

Upvote 0
Oddly enough, it works when you do approximate match. I really dont get it. Everything seems fine.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back