Index Match Return Values

Justijb

Hello All,

Thanks for all the support in the past. I would like to use the following formula =INDEX(Sheet2!C:C,MATCH(1,(N2=Sheet2!B:B)*(A2=Sheet2!A:A),0) )but it seems to not function properly.

I have two worksheets open 1 and 2 = I have two criteria to match on. Column A and Column N on sheet 1. If column (a) and column N on sheet 1 matches to column (a) and column (b) on sheet 2, then return value from column (c) sheet 2, to sheet 1 column (o).

IF

Column (a) /sheet 1 matches column (a) sheet 2, but column N - DOES NOT MATCH or meet criteria of specified letters word in column "x,y,z" return sheet 2 column (e,f,g,).

Essentially I want to match on two criteria - 1 function/ return value..simple enough, 2nd function is if there is one match on criteria one but a different match on criteria 2, use a different set of data in a different column.

I can explain further if needed. Thanks again and appreciate all of you !

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
The formula you've written looks like it should meet your initial needs i.e. it will return from Column C on Sheet2 where the values from A and N on Sheet1 are found in B and A on Sheet2. If it's not working, check you're entering it as an array formula by editing it in the formula bar and pressing Ctrl+Shift+Enter to commit the formula. When done you should see the formula in curly braces like this;
1581071736002.png

I don't understand the second part of your request though.

Specifically this bit:

"meet criteria of specified letters word in column "x,y,z" return sheet 2 column (e,f,g,). "

Can you clarify?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! The second part of the formula would be if column a is true and column n is not true that it would return a different value from altogether different column in sheet 2 to sheet one column o. To be more exact code and state don't match so it looks up a different value and returns a location I specify.

Upvote 0
OK.

Then do this (still entered as an array formula):

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet2!C:C,MATCH(1,(N2=Sheet2!B:B)*(A2=Sheet2!A:A),0) ) ,INDEX(Sheet2![Column Name here],MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A:A,0) )

You need to replace [Column Name here] with the column in Sheet2 you want to return the value from

The Index/Match pair you already have will return an error if the two values are not found on the same row in columns B and A.

The IFERROR will return the results from the second Index/Match pair which is only looking for the value from Sheet1!A2 in Sheet2!A:A

Note: if the value from Sheet1 is not found in Sheet2, this will still result in a #N/A error.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back