Index/Match to FIND blanks and with partial values

JTee

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone - longtime lurker (I seem to always find my answers on the forum), first time registered user and poster. I don't know if I am all Corona-ed out or if I am just losing my mind, but I have a two pronged problem that I am having trouble solving. I am creating a rollup of three separate reports that come directly out of a database for a client.

Problem 1: One of the reports includes extra data in the same cells with my unique lookup value. I know how to do this in a vlookup (using "*"), but its not working for me in an index/match.
Problem 2: Once I am able to get to the right range solving problem 1 above, I need to offset on that report to the first row in that column with a blank value, then find the corresponding data on that row in several columns to the right. Basically, this dang report has a total line without a label - so the total line is blank in column A. I have tried and failed and I would give up - but this client is very important and I need to make sure they are happy.

Here is an image of my data set on the problematic report:
data sample.png

Note that while the snip above shows the offset to be 2 rows down from the lookup value, that is not always the case - it ranges between two and 30 rows until the next blank in column A.

Here is a snip of the way I need the data from this report rolled up:
rollup sample.png

Column A is my unique identifier to all other data.

Any and all help on my conundrum is certainly appreciated. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
One of the reports includes extra data in the same cells with my unique lookup value.
What specifically are you trying to match? Is it the Unit number...for example "A1015"?...and is the issue that other text follows A1015?

Upvote 0
Hi JTee,

Are you sure that row column A is empty or does it contain a/some blanks? Let me show using my test data and you can tell me if this looks right.

JTee.xlsx
ABCDEFGHI
2Code/DatePre-Payment
3A1012 - Alf Brown
42/2/2020Payment
6A1022 - Sally Smith
72/2/2020Payment
82/2/2020Payment
92/2/2020Payment
11A999 - George Jones
122/2/2020Payment
132/2/2020Payment
142/2/2020Payment
16A9999 - Susan Hillier
172/2/2020Payment

Retrieved number

JTee.xlsx
ABC
2UnitPre-Payment
3A101222.33
4A102244.55
5A999966.77
6A99955.66
Summary
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C3:C6C3=INDEX(Report!$I$1:$I$9999,AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Report!$A$1:$A$9999)/((ROW(Report!$A$1:$A$9999)>MATCH(A3&" *",Report!A:A,0))*(Report!$A$1:$A$9999="")),1))

Upvote 0
Solution
Toadstool - your solution worked like a charm! Is it possible for you to explain the logic in the forula to me so that I understand HOW it is working? Thank you SO MUCH.

Upvote 0
Sure,

AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Report!$A$1:$A$9999)/((ROW(Report!$A$1:$A$9999)>MATCH(A3&" *",Report!A:A,0))*(Report!$A$1:$A$9999="")),1))

INDEX(Report!$I$1:$I$9999,
This will retrieve the contents of column I for the row number returned by the AGGREGATE

AGGREGATE(15,6,ROW(Report!$A$1:$A$9999)/
The "15" option says use the AGGREGATE SMALL function to find the nth occurrence, so 1st, 2nd, etc. In this case it's only looking for the 1st that meets criteria because it has hardcoded the "1))" at the end. The ROW(Report!$A$1:$A$9999) says we're going to look at all rows between 1 and 9,999.
The "6" says ignore errors because we're dividing each row number by the criteria after the "/".

((ROW(Report!$A$1:$A$9999)>MATCH(A3&" *",Report!A:A,0))*(Report!$A$1:$A$9999="")),
The MATCH checks for the Unit in the report using a wildcard "*" search. The space in front of the wildcard is in case you have short Unit codes, so "A999 *" will not match "A9999".
The ROW(Report!$A$1:$A$9999)> checks that the row we're looking at is greater than the row with the matching Unit from the MATCH.
The (Report!$A$1:$A$9999="") gives a logical 1 if the row in column A is empty and a logical zero if it's not.
If either/both of these conditions are false they'll return a logical zero so multiplying them together gets zero. If both conditions are true then multiplying them together gives a logical 1. These are divided into the row number from the AGGREGATE so a zero gives a zerodivide which the "6" option ignores. If they return a 1 then you get that row number returned which the INDEX can then retrieve.

Upvote 0
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is phenomenal, I ahve never used the aggregate function before, and I love learning new excel tricks. You're the best - you made my day!

Upvote 0
You're welcome!
...but be careful as AGGREGATE can be very powerful and you might end up as an AGGREGATE junkie like me ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back