Index (Match) to locate pivot table data, based on column header and matching row item

Kimberlieh

My active worksheet called "Estimate", includes my billing items from a formula in cells B13:B39, and a user entered month in cell M8 for the period the statement is being created for.

The Pivot table is on a worksheet called "Pivot Data", and contains the information I need to summarize in the Estimate worksheet.

In the Estimate worksheet I need to populate J13:J39 with the quantity from the column in the Pivot Data worksheet with the same month header as in M8 and that also matches the billing item in B13:B39.

The formatting for both sheets is "custom", with a comma. This is the formula I have in J13,

=INDEX('Pivot Data'!D5:O31,MATCH(Estimate!M8,'Pivot Data'!D5:O31,0),MATCH(B13:B39,'Pivot Data'!B5:B31))*E13 but it returns a #NA .

I tried to use a post from several years ago, but couldn't make it work. I will be grateful for help resolving this conundrum.

Kimberlie

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Hi Kimberlie,

Have you tried using a formula with the GETPIVOTDATA function?

Using GETPIVOTDATA is typically a better method of extracting data at the intersection of PivotTable items than INDEX-MATCH.

Upvote 0
Hi Kimberlie,

Have you tried using a formula with the GETPIVOTDATA function?

Using GETPIVOTDATA is typically a better method of extracting data at the intersection of PivotTable items than INDEX-MATCH.

Jerry,

No, I haven't considered using the GETPIVOTDATA function, and I don't have experience with it. I'm open to learning how it works, especially if it's a better method than the INDEX-MATCH.

Can it return the data from variable columns, and the row with a matching billing item?

Upvote 0
Yes, it can.

I find the easiest way to make a formula using GETPIVOTDATA is to start by letting Excel build a formula to a single value.

In the top left cell of the range that you want the data returned enter an equal sign, "=" (no quotes), then pick the cell in the PivotTable that represents the value at the intersection of the matching billing items.

Excel will enter a formula like this....
=GETPIVOTDATA("Sales",$A$4,"Month","Aug","Office","South")

Next modify the formula to use cell references instead of constant values for the PivotItems.
If your months are on Row 2 with "Aug" in cell X2, and Offices are in Column W with "South" in cell W3, your modified formula might look like....
=GETPIVOTDATA("Sales",$A$4,"Month",X$2,"Office",$W3)

Now you can copy the formula and paste it down and across your range of results and it will reference each matching cell on the PivotTable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, it can.

I find the easiest way to make a formula using GETPIVOTDATA is to start by letting Excel build a formula to a single value.

In the top left cell of the range that you want the data returned enter an equal sign, "=" (no quotes), then pick the cell in the PivotTable that represents the value at the intersection of the matching billing items.

Excel will enter a formula like this....
=GETPIVOTDATA("Sales",$A$4,"Month","Aug","Office","South")

Next modify the formula to use cell references instead of constant values for the PivotItems.
If your months are on Row 2 with "Aug" in cell X2, and Offices are in Column W with "South" in cell W3, your modified formula might look like....
=GETPIVOTDATA("Sales",$A$4,"Month",X$2,"Office",$W3)

Now you can copy the formula and paste it down and across your range of results and it will reference each matching cell on the PivotTable.

Jerry,

Thank you, I modified the formula and it works, well almost. Each of the months are a pivot table column. The worksheet has a cell for the user to enter the month for the report. I tried to enter the cell reference in the formula, but it just results in #REF !.

The following is my current formula
=GETPIVOTDATA("Mar",'Pivot Data'!$A$4,"Bid Item Number",'Pivot Data'!$A5,"Description",'Pivot Data'!$B5)*F13

I get the error when I change the "Mar" to $M$4.

How can I get the formula to work with the user entered month?

Kimberlie

Upvote 0
Kimberlie,

Using a reference for the first parameter (the data_field) is handled a little differently than the other field parameters.

You need to add ""& to cast this argument as a String...
=GETPIVOTDATA(""&$M$4,'Pivot Data'!$A$4....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back