Index Match with Sum Function

italy16

Hello All - Is there a way to use the index match function with the sum function? I'm using index match but noticing its only pulling the 1st value in the data set (or array) instead of summing the value. For example, if I was searching rows for "Sales" and then columns for "salaries" and I have salaries listed multiple times, it would only pull the salary from the 1st time it was listed. Instead, I was hoping it would sum up all the values when "salaries" was listed.

Thank you very much in advance.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
It sounds as if you'll want to use either SUMIFS or SUMPRODUCT. If you post a small example to show where Sales and Salaries are in your sheet layout, we can offer some more specific solutions. What version of Excel are you using? You might want to update your profile to include this information, as some solutions depend on certain versions.

Upvote 0
Is this what you want

Book1
BCDEFGHIJKLM
4SalariesPrintingSalariesOffice
5Sales10112213Sales32
6Production14151617Salaries
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
L5L5=SUM(IFERROR(INDEX($D$5:$G$6,MATCH(K5,$C$5:$C$6,0),SEARCH(K6,$D$4:$G$4)^0*(COLUMN($D:$G)-COLUMN($D:$D)+1)),0))

Upvote 0
Thanks for the fast response! Yes, think this is what I'd like. Thank you. Let me try it out and then if not, I'll post a screen shot of my data to troubleshoot. Thanks again

Upvote 0
Couldn't quite get the formula correct. Would like to say if the row = Engineering then sum up the salaries (50+35=85). I think this was similar to your example, but I might be missing something. Thank you

Attachments

• index function.png
    index function.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
Here is one approach. Note that I've used the row/column headings in the summary table for matching with the row/column headings in the data table...you could hardwire these into the formula if desired:
Book1
ABCDEFGH
1SalesMarketingEngineeringEngineeringSales
2Salaries1007550Salaries85150
3Salaries504035Bonus102
4Bonus2510
Sheet6
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:H3G2=SUMPRODUCT(($B$1:$D$1=G$1)*($A$2:$A$4=$F2),$B$2:$D$4)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back