Index/Match

mulholm

I am trying to find a name from a list of data on a separate sheet and pull it through to a cell on another sheet:

Sheet1:

Paid Breaks
Name
Break Time AvailableBreak Time Used
<colgroup><col width="166" style="width: 125pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 6070;"> <col width="140" style="width: 105pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5120;" span="2"> <tbody> </tbody>

Sheet2:

Agent1
OffLinePaid Breaks
Agent2
Paid Breaks

<colgroup><col width="44" style="width: 33pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1609;"> <col width="62" style="width: 47pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2267;"> <col width="194" style="width: 146pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7094;"> <tbody> </tbody>
I have found the below formula which searches for the word "Paid Breaks" and returns "Agent1" to the "Name" column.

Is there a way i can change the formula to then go down the list and return "Agent2" and so on until there are no more values with the word "Paid Breaks"

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off

Book1
ABCD
1Paid Breaks
2NameBreak Time AvailableBreak Time Used
3Agent1
4Agent2
5Agent7
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3{=IF(ROWS($A$3:A3)>COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$11,"paid breaks"),"",INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$11,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$11="paid breaks",ROW(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$11)-ROW(Sheet2!$C$2)+1),ROWS($A$3:A3))))}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Copy down

Book1
ABC
1Name
2Agent1OffLinePaid Breaks
3Agent2OffLinePaid Breaks
4Agent3
5Agent4
6Agent5
7Agent6
8Agent7Paid Breaks
9Agent8
10Agent9
11Agent10
Sheet2

Upvote 0
Thank you, let me elaborate a bit now that you get what i am looking to do:

the location of Paid break on the 2nd sheet will differ depending on how many people are in so will never be a constant. One day it could be C2:C11 but next day it could be C26:C34.
The names i am trying to pull through to sheet1 will always be in column a and will always be in the corresponding row to the paid break.
Hope that makes sense, if you can help at all?

Upvote 0
If it always starts from the top and just expands you could turn the data in sheet2 into an excel table and use table formula nomenclature to refer to the columns. As you add data to the bottom of the table it was automatically expand and.
Code:
=IF(ROWS($A$3:A3)>COUNTIF(Table1[header C],"paid breaks"),"",INDEX(Table1[Name],SMALL(IF(Table1[header C]="paid breaks",ROW(Table1[header C])-ROW(Sheet2!$C$2)+1),ROWS($A$3:A3))))

If you need look at different ranges in Column C then what determines the range?

Upvote 0
It's dependent on how many agents I would I have in.

For example yesterday paid breaks appeared from C62:C68 but the day before it was C56:C62
the code you gave me above works in relation to if paid breaks was a constant but not for if it moves row everyday.

Upvote 0
There would need to be something in the data set that could be used to know if the data should be used or not. Like a date

For example will only list if it has Paid breaks and is the same date as in B1

Book1
ABCD
1Paid Breaks9/7/2018
2NameBreak Time AvailableBreak Time Used
3Agent7
4Agent9
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3{=IF(ROWS($A$3:A3)>COUNTIFS(Table1[header C],"paid breaks",Table1[Date],$B$1),"",INDEX(Table1[Name],SMALL(IF(Table1[header C]="paid breaks",IF($B$1=Table1[Date],ROW(Table1[header C])-ROW(Sheet2!$C$2)+1)),ROWS($A$3:A3))))}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Book1
ABCD
1Nameheader Bheader CDate
2Agent1OffLinePaid Breaks9/1/2018
3Agent2OffLinePaid Breaks9/1/2018
4Agent39/1/2018
5Agent4
6Agent5
7Agent6
8Agent7Paid Breaks9/7/2018
9Agent8
10Agent9Paid Breaks9/7/2018
11Agent10
12Agent11Paid Breaks9/10/2018
Sheet2

Upvote 0
{=IF(ROWS($A$3:A3)>COUNTIFS(Table1[header C],"paid breaks",Table1[Date],$B$1),"",INDEX(Table1[Name],SMALL(IF(Table1[header C]="paid breaks",IF($B$1=Table1[Date],ROW(Table1[header C])-ROW(Sheet2!$C$2)+1)),ROWS($A$3:A3))))}

I think it is the highlighted bit of formula that is making it not work as it is not always going to be C2. It could be anywhere in the C column depending on who is in.

What i ideally need is the below code that you gave me which worked if specific rows but need it altered to search for "Paid Breaks" in the whole of column "C":
{=IF(ROWS($A$3:A3)>COUNTIF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$11,"paid breaks"),"",INDEX(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$11,SMALL(IF(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$11="paid breaks",ROW(Sheet2!$C$2:$C$11)-ROW(Sheet2!$C$2)+1),ROWS($A$3:A3))))}

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back