Index-Matching same value but multiple worksheets

tstage

Greetings -

I have no problems index matching from one worksheet so that the desired output posts in a column cell in another worksheet. What I haven't been able to figure out yet is how to write a formula to check more than one worksheet for the same value.

Here's my scenario:
  1. I'm trying to locate a single device with a unique serial number, which I will call "Device 0001"
  2. Device 0001 can be located at any one of 16 different site locations at a given time but only at ONE location at a time
  3. My workbook contains 16 worksheets (one for each site location) and EACH worksheet is identical. In other words, the same columns (e.g. Column M and Column C) in each worksheet are searched.
  4. When Device 0001 is located, I want the formula to tell me its status at the site location
Here is the formula that works for the Site 1 worksheet and gives me a blank if Device 0001 ("C6") is not found:

=IFERROR(INDEX('[Site 1]'!M$14:M$100,MATCH(C6('[Site 24]'!C$14:C$100,0)),"")

Let's assume that Device 0001 is not at Site 1 but is at Site 2, which I'll already know because it's identified in another column called "Current Location". However, the formula doesn't know that so I want it to search for Device 0001 in both worksheets (identical columns) until it locates it. If Device 0001 isn't located at either site then I want the cell to return blank.

So, how would I alter the above formula so that it searches more than one worksheet. Ultimately, I need it to have the capability to search all 16 worksheets (or site locations). Again, the device will only be found in ONE worksheet/site location at a given time.

Many thanks ahead of time for the help and expertise...

Tom

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Thanks, Arthur. I have the device SNs already listed numerically in a sortable table on another worksheet, in the same workbook. I was hoping to be able to extract the information there rather than create another intermediary worksheet.

Upvote 0
Did I stump the band? Or, is there any other pertinent information I need to provide to make it more clear what I'm trying to accomplish?

In a nutshell: Using a sortable table on a separate worksheet in the same workbook, I want to search & locate a device (with a unique SN) from 16 different sites (worksheets) so that I can find it and have the formula tell me what the status is for that device - i.e. "Available", "Used". I don't have any experience with macros so I was hoping that a "hefty" index-match formula might work for searching all 16 sites/worksheets for a given device.

Thanks,

Tom

Upvote 0
Since you have a column showing which sheet holds the device you want to look up, maybe you can use the formula shown in the following link.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back