INDEX using INDIRECT with OR function

brooksc29

I am trying to use the INDEX function to refer to a range on another sheet and look for either of two criteria for a result.

This is my current formula and I'm off, just can't figure out where.

=INDEX(INDIRECT(C27),MATCH(OR("RHP-S","LHP-S"),INDEX(INDIRECT(C27),0,2),1))

Feel like I should be able to get this but I'm stuck.

Any help?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
what is the name of the second sheet? I don't see it in your formula the two criteria are RHP-S and LHP-S what is the second sheet name and what is the range?

Upvote 0
Maybe...

=INDEX(INDIRECT(C27),MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(MATCH(INDEX(INDIRECT(C27),0,2),{"RHP-S","LHP-S"},0)),0),1)

...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Upvote 0
thanks Domenic, that seems to work.

what would I add to that formula to return the 2nd occurrence of either RHP-S/LHP-S in the column?

Upvote 0
well, i would want all occurrences in descending order, down the column. so 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, as you go down the column

Upvote 0
OR, would it be easier to say, give me the 2nd occurrence anytime you see the "-S" text in the cell so it doesn't mark the 1st occurrence of "RHP-s", then go straight to the 2nd "LHP-S" occurrence without acknowledging the first occurrence of "LHP-S"?

if this is possible, it would actually work better for me to be able to look inside the text in the cell.

Upvote 0
Drrellik, the range is actually represented in cell C27 - where it refers to a named range that is referenced by text in that cell.

Upvote 0
OR, would it be easier to say, give me the 2nd occurrence anytime you see the "-S" text in the cell so it doesn't mark the 1st occurrence of "RHP-s", then go straight to the 2nd "LHP-S" occurrence without acknowledging the first occurrence of "LHP-S"?

if this is possible, it would actually work better for me to be able to look inside the text in the cell.

Either way is fine. However, since you'd prefer to search for "-S", try...

A2:

=COUNTIF(INDEX(INDIRECT(C27),0,2),"*-S")

B2, confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, and copied down:

=IF(ROWS(B$2:B2)<=$A$2,INDEX(INDIRECT($C$27),SMALL(IF(RIGHT(INDEX(INDIRECT($C$27),0,2),2)="-S",ROW(INDEX(INDIRECT($C$27),0,2))-MIN(ROW(INDEX(INDIRECT($C$27),0,2)))+1),ROWS(B$2:B2)),1),"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmanchoppy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back